Bernedoodles are precious family assets that come from the Poodle and Bernese Mountain Dog. They make great family pets because they have a goofy nature and easygoing character. In addition, these puppies integrate into any family with ease and will complete your family in ways you never imagined.
- Top 10 Best Food Bowl for Dog with No Teeth
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Less Poop
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Weimaraners
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Aussiedoodles
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for IBD
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Urinary Crystals
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Tear Stains
- Top 10 Best Dog Food to Prevent Scooting
- Top 10 Best Dog Food Consumer Reports
If you’ve been considering a Bernedoodle or simply want to figure out what’s best dog food for your Bernedoodle, you’re in for a treat. Our Bernedoodles rely on us to provide them with the proper nutrition that they need to be healthy dogs who live long and healthy lives. It’s up to us to take care of them!
We’ve got you covered with a variety of dog food options so that you can find the best dog food for your Bernedoodle, taking their nutritional needs into consideration. We’ve searched through the options to bring you the very best to choose from.
This guide will cover the best dog food for a Bernedoodle, separated by various categories to cover every possible situation or need for your Bernedoodle. Bernedoodles are far less likely to run into stomach sensitivity issues but it could happen. There are plenty of dog food options that take into account dogs that potentially struggle with sensitivities and allergies. We also have recommendations for Bernedoodle puppies and adult Bernedoodles.
The 10 Best Dog Foods for Bernedoodles
Iams Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food — Best Value
|Chicken, ground whole-grain barley, ground whole-grain corn, ground whole-grain sorghum, chicken by-product meal
|351 per cup
The Iams Adult Large Breed Real Chicken Dry Dog Food is formulated for large breeds. Farm-raised chicken is the first ingredient. This food also includes prebiotics for healthy digestion and immune system support. Glucosamine and chondroitin are added for joint health, which is important for large dogs. This nutritionally balanced food is the best dog food for Bernedoodles for the money.
Corn is included in the recipe. While some pet owners feel that corn offers nothing in terms of nutrition, dogs that can tolerate grain may benefit from the energy-dense carbs and fiber. Some dog owners have reported that their dogs had severe gas and bloating after eating this food, which may mean they are sensitive to grains. Ask your vet whether a diet that includes grain is right for your dog.
- May cause bloating and gas in some dogs
- Made with real chicken
- Includes glucosamine and chondroitin
- Nutritionally complete for large dogs
The Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe — Best Overall
|Turkey, chickpeas, carrots, broccoli, spinach
|562 per pound
The best overall dog food for Bernedoodles is The Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe. This is not ca food that you can find on your pet store’s shelves. It’s a delivery service that brings the food right to your door. The turkey recipe is only one option. You can also choose from chicken, beef, or pork to customize the recipe to your dog’s liking.
This is a grain-free food made with whole ingredients. You can see the different vegetables in the food, including spinach, carrots, and broccoli. The food comes shipped to you frozen, so you’ll have to store the food in your freezer and transfer it to the fridge to thaw it before feeding. This can be time consuming but works well if you stick to a routine.
If you’re feeding multiple dogs, you can choose different recipes. Each portion comes packaged with the designated dog’s name on it. The Farmer’s Dog can be more expensive than most other foods, but the quality and convenience of the subscription can make the price worthwhile.
- Takes up room in the freezer
- Recipes come labeled with the dog’s name
- Made with quality ingredients
- Delivered right to your door
Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Puppy Food – Best for Puppies
|Deboned chicken, chicken meal, oats, barley, brown rice
|431 per cup
For Bernedoodle puppies, one great option is the Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Chicken, Oats, & Turkey Dry Puppy Food. It uses deboned chicken and turkey for animal-based proteins and includes low-glycemic grains that won’t cause a spike in blood sugar.
Omega fatty acids help puppies develop glistening, soft coats. Taurine is included for heart health, and probiotics are added for healthy digestion. The high protein in the food helps puppies grow strong, lean muscles and keep their energy up.
This is an expensive option, but it offers high-quality nutrition for growing puppies. Some dog owners noticed a strange smell to the food that they didn’t like, and some of their dogs didn’t like it either.
- Food may have a foul odor
- Contains probiotics for easy digestion
- Protein from real animal sources
- Low-glycemic grains won’t raise blood sugar
Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food
|Deboned chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, turkey meal
|393 per cup
With deboned chicken as the primary ingredient, Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Real Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food is well-balanced and a highly nutritious option for your Bernedoodle. It includes omega fatty acids for coat health and glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints.
In addition to the real meat in the recipe, brown rice and quinoa are added for healthy carbs and easy digestion. Over 80% of the protein in this recipe is from animal sources. For pups sensitive to poultry, there are flavor options available from this brand that use salmon and other fish-based proteins. This food contains no dyes or artificial preservatives.
- Not suitable for dogs with poultry sensitivities
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Dry Dog Food
|Chicken, whole-grain brown rice, whole-grain sorghum, brewers rice, chicken meal
|335 per cup
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food is formulated for large dogs and provides a balanced diet that they need. Farm-raised chicken is the first ingredient and offers delicious protein for healthy muscle development.
Low-fat carbs like brown rice and sorghum add to the easy digestibility of the food. Chondroitin and glucosamine provided through the addition of chicken meal help ensure that your dog maintains bone and joint health. All the essential vitamins and minerals add to your dog’s overall health and well-being.
The kibble tends to be on the dry side and will crumble easily. There are also reports that the kibble has changed size recently, and now some dogs won’t eat it.
- Kibble crumbles in the bag
- Uses a new recipe that some dogs don’t like
- Easily digestible
- Promote healthy muscle development
- Completely balanced and formulated for large dogs
Purina Pro Plan Adult Complete Essentials Dog Food – Vet’s Choice
|Beef, rice, whole-grain wheat, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal
|360 per cup
The Purina Pro Plan Adult Shredded Blend Beef & Rice Dry Dog Food includes live probiotics for digestive health. The food is made with a mix of dry kibble and tender, meaty pieces for a soft texture and enticing flavor.
This food has an ideal fat-to-protein ratio that can help your dog stay active and maintain an ideal body weight. Vitamin A and omega fatty acids promote skin and coat health. While the flavor on the front of the bag says, “beef,” the recipe includes poultry, so this won’t be suitable for dogs that have poultry sensitivities.
Some of the dry kibble in the bag can get crushed into dust before the bag is opened. This seems to be the biggest issue with this food.
- Dry kibble crumbles into dust in the bag
- Not suitable for dogs with poultry allergies
- Enticing texture with shredded pieces
- Contains live probiotics
- Ideal fat-to-protein ratio for body maintenance
Purina Beyond Simply Dry Dog Food
|Chicken, rice, whole barley, canola meal, chicken meal
|411 per cup
Real farm-raised chicken is the first ingredient in Purina Beyond Chicken & Whole Barley Dry Dog Food. This food is completely balanced for adult Bernedoodles and blended with probiotics and omega acids for gut and coat health. The recipe is full of simple ingredients that you can recognize.
Best of all, the food is manufactured in facilities that take steps to improve water efficiency and reduce waste, making the food good for dogs and the planet. The recipe includes nothing artificial and the ingredients are from trusted sources.
The biggest size available is a 24-pound bag, which may be too small for some Bernedoodles to eat for long. Owners of large dogs prefer large bags of food so they don’t have to buy them so often.
- Biggest bag size is only 24 pounds
- Complete balanced nutrition for dogs
- Simple ingredients
- Environmentally friendly manufacturing process
Victor Classic Hi-Pro Plus Dry Dog Food
|Beef meal, grain sorghum, chicken fat, pork meal, chicken meal
|406 per cup
All dogs can enjoy Victor Classic Hi-Pro Plus Dry Dog Food. It’s made for dogs of all life stages, including puppies, pregnant or nursing dogs, and seniors. Since it provides a necessary balance of nutrients for all dogs, it’s a good option if you have multiple dogs to feed in your household.
The meat protein in this food is made up of 88% beef, chicken, and pork meals. It’s an ideal food for dogs with high energy levels, like Bernedoodles. It can give them the energy that they need to support their physical demands.
The food includes prebiotics and probiotics for healthy digestion. One issue is that some dogs don’t seem to like the taste of this food. They’ll consume it, and many dogs seem to do quite well on it, but they don’t seem excited to eat it.
- Some dogs don’t love the flavor
- Made of 88% real meat ingredients
- Promotes healthy energy levels
- Nutritionally balanced
Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie Dry Dog Food
|Water buffalo, pork, chicken meal, grain sorghum, millet
|445 per cup
The protein in Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie With Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food is sourced from roasted bison, venison, pork, and chicken meal for bone and muscle health. In addition to the high protein content, this food is blended with vitamins and minerals from real fruits and ancient grains.
K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics are included with antioxidants and prebiotics for healthy digestion and immune system health. The meats in this recipe are smoke flavored and are roasted for the optimal taste to entice your dog. There are no artificial colors or flavors added.
One thing some dog owners have noticed is that this food makes their dog’s breath smell terrible.
- May cause some dogs to have foul-smelling breath
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics for digestive health
- High protein content from various meat sources
- Nothing artificial is added
American Journey Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
|Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, chickpeas
|370 per cup
The American Journey Chicken & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Dry Dog Food has deboned chicken as the first ingredient for healthy, high protein levels. This helps your dog maintain lean muscles and meets their craving for real meat.
The fruits and vegetables in the recipe provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Kelp, blueberries, and carrots work to keep your dog’s immune system healthy and add fiber for easy digestion. Salmon oil and flaxseed offer omega fatty acids for coat, skin, brain, and eye health. Glucosamine and chondroitin keep joints moving easily.
Some dog owners feel that the kibble size is too small for large breeds. Even though some dogs love this food, other picky eaters won’t eat it, no matter what. Also, it should be discussed first with your vet if your dog will benefit from a grain-free diet.
- Small kibble size
- Some picky eaters won’t touch it
- Deboned chicken is the first ingredient
- Fortified with fruits and vegetables for overall health
- Easy on digestive systems
Buyer’s Guide: Picking the Best Dog Food for Bernedoodles
There are many great options for foods to give to your Bernedoodle, but you may need more help deciding which is best. Here are a few things to keep in mind when making your decision.
- If your Bernedoodle suffers from food allergies, you’ll have to browse labels to make sure the allergen isn’t present. Some dog food flavors may say “beef” or “lamb,” but poultry may be included on the ingredients list.
- If you don’t know what your dog is allergic to, you should make an appointment to take your dog to the vet. In the meantime, you can try foods that are aimed at those with sensitive stomachs or skin issues. These tend to be more hypoallergenic in terms of ingredients so they are less likely to cause reactions.
Balanced nutrition is important in a Bernedoodle’s diet. They need the right amount of protein, fats, and carbs to keep them healthy and give them energy. The protein content should always be higher than the fat content in any food that you give your dog. Browse the labels to read the ingredients and their amounts in the food.
Grain Free or Not?
The inclusion of grain in dog food can provide several health benefits. Unless your dog is allergic to grains, they don’t have to avoid eating them. There are several health claims that the FDA is still investigating about grain-free diets leading to dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs. Talk to your vet about whether a grain-free diet is right for your dog.
You may have to compromise with your dog when it comes to the taste of their food. After all, they know what it tastes like, and they’re the ones that have to eat it! You can choose the healthiest food that you can find, and if your dog doesn’t like it, it doesn’t matter. They won’t enjoy it and won’t eat it.
The best thing to do is find a suitable food that they do like to eat. Otherwise, every meal will be a struggle, and dogs shouldn’t have to dislike what they’re eating. They only get one option for their food: what you give them. You can try to doctor the food with warm water or additives to entice them, but if they don’t eat it, you’re wasting your time and money.
The healthiest food that your dog enjoys is the best food for them.
- Since dog food is something that you’ll have to buy repeatedly for the duration of your pet’s life, it should be something that fits easily into your budget. The most expensive food on the market may be great, but if it’s not affordable, it’s not the right food for you.
- This list has foods that can fit different budgets. If you can easily buy it whenever you need to, your dog likes eating it, and it offers good nutrition, it’s a winner.
Every Dog Is Different
- Even if your friend has a sibling of your Bernedoodle because you got them from the same breeder, the two dogs may have different nutritional needs. One may suffer from allergies or a sensitive stomach, while the other does not. While the Bernedoodle breed requires certain nutrients to stay healthy, each individual dog may also have specialized needs.
- The food that you choose should be suitable for your dog’s age, weight, activity level, and breed size. If your dog needs specialized nutrition for a sensitive stomach or anything else, take that into consideration when choosing their food and start from there.
For the best overall food for Bernedoodles, we like The Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe. This delivery service brings wholesome dog food right to your door. The Iams Adult Large Breed Real Chicken Dry Dog Food is a great value option that provides complete nutrition for large dogs. Those willing to spend more may like Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Real Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food. It’s made with real chicken and includes glucosamine and chondroitin. Nulo Frontrunner Ancient Grains Chicken, Oats, & Turkey Dry Puppy Food provides complete nutrition for growing Bernedoodle puppies. Purina Pro Plan Adult Shredded Blend Beef & Rice Dry Dog Food offers a blend of dry and tender textures to entice dogs.
We hope that you’ve enjoyed these reviews and were able to find the best food for your Bernedoodle. Remember to check with your vet before making any changes to your dog’s diet