Top 10 Best Dog Food for Chiweenie
The Chiweenie is a cross between the Chihuahua and Dachshund. Although they’re quite small, they are a high energy dog that needs a good source of protein to maintain good health and development. You will also need food that your dog enjoys the smell and taste of, and that meets your budgetary target.
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Yorkie Poo
- Top 10 Best Food For Sick Dog
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Rhodesian Ridgeback
There are plenty of options when it comes to choosing the best food for Chieweenies, including grain-free and grain-inclusive, and with a selection of meat-based proteins to aid in your dog’s development and muscle maintenance. With so much choice, you can be sure that there is an option to match your needs, but the options can be baffling at first glance. We have put together reviews of 10 most suitable Chiweenie foods to help you find the right food for your four-legged friend.
The 10 Best Dog Foods for Chiweenies
Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend Small Breed – Best Value
|Chicken, Rice, Poultry By-Product Meal, Beef Fat, Corn Gluten Meal
While these dogs do eat very little, you may still need to save money in some circumstances. In these cases, we highly recommend looking at Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend Small Breed Chicken & Rice, as it is the best dog food for Chiweenies for the money.
Despite being cheaper than much of the competition, this dog food starts with chicken as the primary ingredient. It is a grain-inclusive formula, which we find works best for most dogs. The second ingredient is rice. Corn gluten meal is also included. While you would imagine that this ingredient is lower-quality than some other options, it is actually extremely digestible. Therefore, it provides a cheaper source of protein that is still just as high-quality as more expensive options.
The only potentially negative ingredient is poultry by-product meal, which contains the leftovers after poultry has been processed. Some of these leftovers may be high-quality options like organ meats, while others may not.
The Farmer’s Dog Beef Recipe – Best Overall
|USDA Beef, Sweet Potato, Lentils, Carrots, USDA Beef Liver
For these tiny dogs, we highly recommend The Farmer’s Dog Beef Recipe. This formula is unlike your average dog food. It is made with completely fresh ingredients that are hand prepared and delivered right to your door. Because this food isn’t made like traditional kibble, it is much easier for your dog to eat than other options.
Plus, while this food is expensive, Chiweenies eat very little. Therefore, if you’ve ever considered trying fresh pet food, these tiny dogs are a great breed for food like this.
We particularly love the beef recipe, though all of their recipes are a great option. Their beef recipe includes beef as the primary protein source and the first ingredient. You can really see the bits of beef in the recipe, in fact. On top of beef, this formula also includes sweet potatoes, lentils, and carrots. These veggies help round out your dog’s diet and provide carbohydrates.
Based on these factors, this is easily the best overall dog food for Chiweenies.
Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult Dry Food
|Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley
If you have some extra money to spend, you may be interested in Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult Chicken & Rice. As the name suggests, this formula is designed specifically for small breeds. However, it includes many added nutrients that you won’t find in other small-breed formulas. For instance, glucosamine is added for joint health. Chiweenies aren’t necessarily prone to joint problems, but that extra support may still be a good thing.
Plus, this food also includes high amounts of omega fatty acids. These may help your dog’s skin and coat. Chelated minerals are also used which are easier for dogs to absorb and are often a feature of high-quality dog foods.
The very first ingredient in this dog food is chicken, followed by chicken meal. Chicken meal is extremely concentrated chicken that is actually higher in protein per ounce than whole chicken. Therefore, it is a great option. This formula also includes a range of grains, as it is a grain-inclusive recipe.
Caster & Pollux ORGANIX Small Breed Recipe – Vet’s Choice
|Organic Chicken, Organic Chicken Meal, Organic Sweet Potatoes, Organic Potatoes, Organic Peas
Our vet recommends Caster & Pollux ORGANIX Small Breed Recipe for smaller dogs like Chiweenies. The main draw of this dog food is that it is all organic. Therefore, it is often considered better for your dog and better for the environment. (However, the research is out on whether or not organic food is actually better for our dogs.)
This recipe contains both chicken and chicken meal. Both of these protein sources are high-quality and a great option for most Chiweenies. Plus, the inclusion of chicken meal means that this formula is rich in chicken-based protein.
This recipe includes no grains. However, it is high in peas and potatoes, which may be linked to certain health concerns. For this reason, you may want to ask your vet if this formula is a good option for you.
On a more positive note, this formula does include a lot of prebiotics, which may help with your dog’s stomach. Prebiotics are often overlooked in dog food, but they are very important.
Country Vet Naturals 28/18 Healthy Puppy Dog Food – Best for Puppies
|Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Brewer’s Rice, Fish Meal
While Country Vet Naturals is a newer dog food brand on the market, we highly recommend Country Vet Naturals 28/18 Healthy Puppy Dog Food for Chiweenie puppies. This formula is not nearly as expensive as other options. However, it includes quality ingredients and is high in nutrients that will benefit your puppy’s development.
The very first ingredient is chicken meal, which is highly concentrated. Therefore, this formula contains a lot of protein from chicken. Brown rice is second and provides the necessary carbs for your puppy. Plus, as a whole grain, it is also quite high in fiber.
This formula also includes ingredients like fish meal. Fish are extremely high in omega fatty acids, which are vital for eye and brain development. This ingredient is extremely helpful for developing puppies.
We also love that this formula doesn’t include any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. It includes everything your dog needs and nothing that they don’t.
Cesar Simply Crafted Variety Pack
|Chicken, Carrots, Potatoes, Peas
As a cheaper alternative to fresh dog food, you may want to consider the Cesar Simply Crafted Variety Pack. This food contains only a few ingredients, making it a great option for dogs with sensitivities. However, it may also be good for dogs with sensitive stomachs, since it is a very basic recipe. This variety pack includes two different recipes, which can also help keep your dog from getting bored.
Both formulas include chicken as the primary ingredient. However, the “side items” are slightly different. For instance, one includes carrots and potatoes, while the other includes sweet potatoes and apples. While each formula is gluten-free, one does include barley.
We love this food as a topper, and it is one of the more popular options out there. However, it is expensive and a topper. You’ll need to add it to your dog’s food to make it a complete meal. Still, as an alternative to fresh dog food, you can’t beat the price.
Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed
|Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Yellow Peas, Cracked Pearled Barley
Hill’s Science Diet is often considered a top dog food by the average pet owner. However, a quick look at the ingredient list shows this isn’t the case. Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed is designed for small dogs, like Chiweenies. However, the ingredient list includes refined grains like brewer’s rice very high on the list.
Furthermore, yellow peas also appear quite high on the list. These may be associated with heart conditions in dogs, so we do not recommend them in high amounts. Plus, this food is very expensive, so you would expect higher quality ingredients.
This formula does include chicken as the primary ingredient. Chicken meal appears a bit later, which adds extra protein to the food. Omega fatty acids, vitamin E, and other nutrients are also added. These help improve your dog’s overall health, though they are not necessarily “required”.
Eukanuba Adult Small Bites Dog Food
|Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn, Wheat, Chicken Fat
In the dog food industry, many professionals trust Eukanuba Adult Small Bites, as they have a lot of science backing their food. Therefore, we do recommend Eukanuba Adult Small Bites Dog Food for those that can afford it—keep in mind, that this food is extremely expensive. Plus, some of the ingredients are less-than-stellar, such as the inclusion of by-products and wheat.
The first ingredient is whole chicken, which provides amino acids and fat. However, chicken by-products appear as the second ingredient. While by-products aren’t necessarily always bad, they’re a bit like mystery meat. We simply don’t know what part of the animal they are, which means that they could be a lower-quality product.
This formula is specifically designed for smaller dogs. Therefore, the kibble size is quite small. It also includes DHA and vitamin E, which can improve brain function.
Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites Dry Food
|Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Rice Bran
Despite being cheaper than much of the competition, Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites Lamb & Brown Rice contains high-quality ingredients. Lamb is the first ingredient. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that this formula is suitable for dogs with allergies, as chicken meal is the second. Of course, if your dog doesn’t have allergies, this isn’t much of a problem.
This formula is grain-inclusive and it includes whole grains. These provide the carbs your small dog needs to thrive, as well as plenty of fiber. As you might imagine, this fiber can help your dog’s digestive tract and help them stay regular.
With that said, this formula does include a lower protein content than most. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing for all dogs, it is something to keep in mind.
Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Dry Dog Food
|Chicken, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Tapioca Starch, Canola Meal
Compared to other brands out there, Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Pumpkin is pretty cheap. Therefore, if you’re on a strict budget, it may be a good option for your dog. It does include chicken as the main ingredient, as well as chicken meal. Therefore, it does rely heavily on meat for protein and fat.
It is also designed for small dogs, in particular, so the kibble size is smaller and most Chiweenies should be able to eat it without a problem. It is grain-free, but peas do not appear very high on the ingredient list so we would consider it healthier than other grain-free foods.
However, this formula does include some lower-quality ingredients. For instance, canola oil is quite high on the list as a source of fat. We would have rather seen a source of animal fat, such as chicken fat or fish oil. Furthermore, despite including pumpkin in the title, this formula actually contains very little pumpkin.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Dog Food for Chiweenies
There is a lot to consider when purchasing food for your Chiweenie. Your dog needs the same high-quality dog food that you would feed any other canine. However, they need it in a form that they can actually eat. Therefore, this adds a layer of complexity that can make it difficult to find the perfect food for them.
Here are some of the top things you should consider when selecting dog food for your Chiweenie.
- The protein in dog food is one of the more important factors. Dogs need a lot of protein, though not necessarily as much as many dog owners think. The source of the protein is just as important as the amount, though. Crude protein is only helpful if your dog can absorb and use it.
- We primarily recommend protein from animal sources. Animal meat tends to have the most accessible protein. Whole meat or meat meal is recommended. By-products are often less digestible than these other two options, so we don’t recommend them if you can help it.
- There are some plant-based proteins that are very digestible, though. For instance, corn gluten meal is actually similar to meat in how well it is digested.
- If you choose a kibble for your dog (which is the most popular type of dog food), then you’ll need to choose an option designed specifically for smaller dogs. While many dog foods will be listed as approved for small dogs, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the kibble size is smaller. Small dogs don’t technically have any special nutritional needs compared to medium dogs, so brands will often make dog food that could work for small dogs and medium dogs.
- However, with a dog as small as a Chiweenie, you’ll need food with a very small kibble size. In this circumstance, we recommend choosing a formula specifically labeled as a “small breed recipe”.
Grain-Free vs. Grain-Inclusive
- The most common belief is that grain-free food is better for dogs. This belief is based on the assumption that dogs need a diet that resembles wolves, who eat lots of meat and no grains. However, this belief isn’t based on science. In fact, the opposite is true. While we don’t completely understand how dogs respond to grains yet, recent studies have given us a better idea.
- For instance, we now know that dogs have evolved to eat and digest grain. As you’d imagine, this trait is pretty helpful for dogs that live close to people, as we eat a lot of grain. Therefore, this trait likely developed shortly after dogs were domesticated.
- Furthermore, most grain-free foods are not actually higher in meat than grain-inclusive foods. Instead, they use high amounts of inexpensive veggies like peas and potatoes. There may also be a link between these ingredients and a serious heart condition in dogs. The FDA is currently investigating this link.
- Puppies have different nutritional needs than adult dogs, as they are growing and developing. Therefore, it is vital that you feed your puppy and puppy food, and then switch them over to adult food when they stop growing.
- As very small dogs, Chiweenies reach their full size pretty fast. This means that they won’t be on their puppy food for very long. However, it makes it all that more important that they stay on it while they are growing. You can safely move these dogs over to adult food when they are around a year old.
- Chiweenies are very small dogs, which can make feeding them a bit more complicated.
- Generally, we recommend feeding them The Farmer’s Dog Beef Recipe (or any of their recipes, really). This company crafts high-quality, fresh dog food that can’t be beaten. Plus, because it is made with real ingredients, it is extremely easy for your dog to eat. You don’t have to worry about the kibble size since it isn’t kibble.
- However, this food can be expensive. For those on a budget, we recommend Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend Small Breed Chicken & Rice. This formula is less expensive than most, but it still includes high-quality ingredients. Plus, it has a small kibble size to make it easier for your dog to eat.
- Hopefully, one of these recipes stood out to you as a good option for your Chiweenie.