Dogo Argentino often referred to as the Argentinian Mastiff or Argentine Dogo, is a loyal and athletic large-breed dog. While originally bred as fierce big-game hunters, they now make loyal and protective companions.
- Top 10 Best Dog Dematting Tools and Tips
- Top 10 Best Dog Carrier Purses: Toting Your Dog Around Town
Their strength and intelligence do not make them suitable for first-time owners. They require a firm hand and strict boundaries. With the right training and a loving family, Dogo Argentinos make dedicated and courageous companions as well as excellent watchdogs.
Dogo Argentinos need a diet formulated for large-breed dogs to meet their nutritional needs. Since they are a high-energy breed, they need protein-rich and nutrient-dense food to support their active lifestyle. Along with high-quality nutrition, Dogo Argentinos need plenty of exercises to prevent issues such as obesity.
Keeping the Dogo Argentino’s specific needs in mind, we have compiled a list of the best products for your pet.
The Best Dog Food for Dogo Argentino
Wellness: CORE Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food
- This puppy formula by Wellness is particularly high in protein (36%) for an active Dogo Argentino puppy. Lean proteins from chicken and turkey encourage healthy muscle development, while lentils and peas provide fiber to aid digestion. The wholesome fruits and vegetables in this recipe add ample vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for immune support.
- This recipe ensures strong bones, as well as healthy eyes, brain, and coat with the right balance of nutrients. Your puppy will love the delectable flavors of this easily-digestible kibble.
Instinct: Raw Boost Large Breed Puppy Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken
- This recipe by Instinct is especially made for Dogo Argentino puppies with high protein (33.5%) from real chicken. Vegetables and fruits such as peas, apples, and carrots in this recipe provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for immune support. This kibble includes calcium that growing puppies need for strong bones, while salmon oil provides DHA and omega fatty acids which are key for healthy cognitive function, vision, and coat.
- Along with the kibble, pieces of real freeze-dried chicken and chicken organs are included for a boost in nutrition and flavor. This kibble is free of grains so it is also suitable for pups with sensitive stomachs
Taste of the Wild: High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- This grain-free recipe by Taste of The Wild is a great option for your Dogo Argentino puppy. Water buffalo and lamb meal provide your pup essential amino acids, while sweet potatoes and peas provide fiber and energy. The superfoods in this recipe enrich it with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for an immunity boost.
- This grain-free recipe includes DHA to promote healthy cognitive function and vision for your growing pup. It also includes probiotics and prebiotic fiber to promote healthy digestion. This recipe is as delicious as it is nutritious, since it is flavored with premium roasted bison and venison.
Nutro: Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Lamb & Brown Rice Recipe
This recipe by Nutro is made with delectable lamb and chicken proteins for your Dogo Argentino. This kibble is specially made with the nutritional needs of a large dog in mind and contains the right balance of protein and fiber. Nutrient-rich vegetables such as pumpkin and spinach in this recipe provide your pet vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Glucosamine and chondroitin promote healthy joints, while omega fatty acids keep your pet’s brain, eyes, and coat healthy.
Nulo: Freestyle Salmon & Turkey Recipe Large Breed Puppy Grain
- This grain-free kibble by Nulo is suitable for a Dogo Argentino puppy. It is rich in protein (32%) from salmon and turkey meal which promotes healthy muscle development. The meat is followed by wholesome lentils, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes which are a good source of energy and fiber. Probiotics and fiber make this an easily digestible kibble for your pup.
- Optimal calcium levels in this recipe promote strong bones, while DHA ensures healthy brain and eye development. Additionally, this recipe also includes taurine and omega fatty acids for a healthy heart and skin.
Dr. Pol: High Energy Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- This recipe by Dr. Pol is a veterinarian-inspired diet which is suitable for highly active dogs. Since it contains a single protein source- chicken, it is also appropriate for dogs with allergies or digestive sensitivities. Brown rice and pearled barley in this recipe provide fiber, while pumpkin and spinach add vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- This kibble is rich in nutrients such as taurine, glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega fatty acids for whole-body health. Dr. Pol’s recipes are designed to improve gut health and deliver 40 million probiotics per pound of kibble.
Diamond: Naturals Extreme Athlete Formula Dry Dog Food
If your Dogo Argentino is highly active, this kibble by Diamond is a great option. Lean proteins from chicken and chicken meal encourage healthy muscle development, while the superfoods in this recipe provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for immune support. This nutrient-rich kibble includes glucosamine, chondroitin, L-carnitine, and omega fatty acids which promote whole-body health. Additionally, it is free of any fillers or artificial additives. Diamond’s recipes are made with a proprietary probiotic blend to help support your pet’s digestive health.
Dr. Gary’s Best Breed: Holistic Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- This kibble by Dr. Gary’s Best Breed is a great option for your Dogo Argentino. The chicken in this recipe is accompanied by the flavors of nutrient-rich alfala and cranberries. This recipe includes ample protein to encourage lean muscles, while brown rice and oatmeal provide fiber to ease digestion. Additional fish oil in this kibble is rich in omega fatty acids that are essential for the health of the brain, eyes, and coat.
- This diet has been developed by veterinarians so you can trust your pet is getting the best nutrition. Dr. Gary’s Best Breed believes in holistic nutrition that improves your pet’s overall health.
ORIJEN: Puppy Large Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food
- This protein-rich diet is great for a Dogo Argentino pup since it is rich in protein to encourage strong, lean muscles. Orijen uses a “wholeprey approach” to include the most nutrient-dense parts of the animal such as meat organs, which are rich in various essential nutrients. Since this recipe is made using fresh and raw ingredients, it does not include any harmful preservatives.
- Your pup gets taurine, calcium, glucosamine, and omega fatty acids from this recipe that encourage holistic health. Additionally, it is also coated with freeze-dried raw chicken and turkey for maximum flavor.
Solid Gold: Wolf King Bison & Brown Rice Recipe
- This Solid Gold recipe is specially crafted for large dogs like your Dogo Argentino. It contains premium protein from bison and fish meal which encourage lean muscle maintenance. The brown rice and pearled barley in this recipe are excellent sources of fiber, while chickpeas and sweet potatoes provide easily digestible carbohydrates. This recipe is enriched further with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants for immune health.
- Solid Gold is a firm believer in the importance of gut health and delivers 90 million probiotics per pound of kibble.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Dog Food for Dogo Argentino
Since Dogo Argentino is a large-breed dog, it is important that you feed them a large-breed formula. A large-breed formula is designed to cater to the nutritional needs of a larger dog. Dogo Argentinos are also highly active so a large-breed formula provides them the right balance of nutrients to encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.
When looking for a quality dog food for your Dogo Argentino, you should keep the following things in mind.
Wholesome Fruits and Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support digestive and immune health. The vegetables and fruits combine with the protein to make a complete and balanced meal. However, it is important to ensure that there isn’t an excess of fruits and vegetables. Foods that list potatoes and peas in the first few ingredients are full of unnecessary starches that lead to weight gain. The best fruits and vegetables for your pet are:
- Sweet Potatoes
Real meat should always be the first ingredient in any food you choose for your Dogo Argentino. Protein is important for many vital functions in the canine body. It provides your pet energy and helps them build strong muscles.
Additionally, there are other nutrients such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and L-carnitine that are present in meat. Meat protein is the easiest for your Dogo Argentino to digest and derive nutrition from. Look for foods that clearly mention meat sources, for e.g., “whole deboned turkey”.
Quality Whole Grains
Although there is an increasing amount of grain-free options on the market, it isn’t entirely necessary that you opt for one unless your Dogo Argentino is allergic or sensitive to grains. However, grain-inclusive options should contain quality whole grains. Inexpensive grain sources such as wheat and corn are not good options. The best grains for your pet include:
- Brown rice
- Pearled barley
The ingredients in your dog’s food should be natural non-GMO ingredients that can be traced back to quality sources. The meat should not contain any hormones and antibiotics. Genetically modified (GMO) food and artificial additives can cause health issues in the long-term. A high-quality food should only include natural preservatives such as vitamins C and E.
Supplements and Probiotics
Although wholesome and natural ingredients are rich in nutrients, many dogs benefit from added supplements and probiotics in their diet. Most formulas include additional vitamins, minerals, and probiotics. These ingredients are important for your pet’s immune and digestive health. Depending on your pet’s age, they need a different set of nutrients.
- For Adults: While adult Dogo Argentinos don’t need many supplements in their diet, they can benefit from added fish oil and probiotics in their diet. In fact, omega fatty acids are essential for dogs at any life stage. Other supplements that your pet can benefit from include taurine, L-carnitine, glucosamine and chondroitin.
- For Puppies: Puppies need a good balance of protein and fats to support a developing body. Calcium and phosphorus are essential for growing puppies to develop strong bones. Another important supplement for puppies is fish oil, which provides omega fatty acids. These are vital for a healthy brain, eyes, and skin.
- For Seniors: Seniors specially need supplements in their diet as an aging pet cannot make enough of various essential nutrients such as taurine.
The supplements your senior Dogo Argentino needs are mostly the same as the ones for adults but they are more important for seniors. Since seniors are at higher risk for obesity and arthritis, nutrients such as L-carnitine, glucosamine, and chondroitin are essential to prevent these issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Dogo Argentino a good family pet?
Dogo Argentinos are fiercely loyal and protective, making them great family pets as well as excellent watchdogs. However, they are not easy to train and require a firm hand. If a Dogo Argentino is trained well and given a loving family, they make great family pets.
As you can see, there are a lot of things to consider when choosing a dog food for your Dogo Argentino. We have suggested some choices for adult dogs as well as puppies, and we are confident that if you try our recommendations you will be happy and so will your dog. Remember, whenever you decide to change your dog’s diet, it is a good idea to consult with your vet, as well!