Top 10 Best Dog Food for Environmental Allergies
Just like us, dogs are susceptible to allergies, sometimes mild, sometimes acute, and sometimes they can be life-threatening.
Sometimes these allergies are food-related, but more often than not, the allergies are environmental. But no matter what causes the allergy, paying attention to what you feed your dog is essential to making them as happy and as healthy as they can be.
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Nursing Dogs
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Poop Eaters
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Firm Stools
- Top 10 Best Dog Food with low protein
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Jack Russell
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Active Dogs
- Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Basset Hounds
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Cancer
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Havanese
We have researched a whole lot of dog foods and come up with what we think are the best foods for dogs with environmental allergies.
The Best Dog Foods for Environmental Allergies
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
If your dog is scratching themselves a lot more than usual or having other skin issues, may recommend making an adjustment to their food. Hill’s Science Diet has been one of the most trusted brands of dog food and has the recommendation of countless veterinarians behind it. This particular blend is made with chicken as the primary ingredient and doesn’t require a prescription. It also contains vitamin E, as well as omega 6 fatty acids that are good for your dog’s skin.
Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Small Bites Adult Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- This limited ingredient diet from Nutro is also grain-free, which makes it an excellent choice for dogs suffering from allergies. It uses deboned lamb for the primary protein and contains absolutely no chicken, a leading source of allergies for many dogs.
- The smaller sized kibble makes this appropriate for smaller dogs and the limited ingredients mean there’s less of a chance for tummy upset or allergies. The presence of Omega-6 fatty acids, zinc, and B vitamins ensures good overall health.
- This highly-digestible diet contains no GMOs, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives of any kind, which make it a solid pick for those dogs who suffer from environmental allergies.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
It’s always a good idea to consult your veterinarian if you are concerned about your dog’s allergies. They may recommend changes to their diet that remove foods that could flare up their allergies, like grains or poultry. But being grain-free doesn’t mean that this recipe is all protein either, it also features sweet potatoes and peas to help give your active doggy that extra boost of energy. Blue Buffalo also offers similar grain-free recipes for all life stages, including puppies, adult, and senior dogs.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Formula Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food
- The recipe by Purina Pro Plan is specifically formulated for dogs with environmental allergies. Whether your dog is a pup, fully grown, or a senior, they should do well with this nutritious food source. It contains hydrolyzed ingredients, the idea of which is to break down food molecules to such a small size that it becomes very easy for your dog’s digestion.
- This recipe does not compromise on taste and is enriched with all the essential nutrients, which is why most dogs transition to this food with ease. It is perfect for dogs who have food allergic gastroenteritis or dermatitis, food intolerance, inflammatory bowel disease, or pancreatitis. This food requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet with Healthy Grains Real Salmon & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
Some dog foods that don’t mention chicken on the front of the package may still contain chicken by-product hiding in the ingredient list. For dogs who are the most sensitive to chicken, even these by-products may cause an allergic reaction. Merrick’s limited ingredient diet is a good option for those dogs. This dry dog food is created using nine key ingredients including salmon, brown rice, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes—and most importantly no chicken or chicken by-product. It’s also free of soy, corn, wheat, and eggs.
CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Real Lamb & Pea Recipe Dry Dog Food
- This simple recipe by Canidae is a good pick if your dog has a sensitive immune system, as well as an easily upset tummy. Prepared with the simplest of ingredients, the main meat sources in this formula are lamb, turkey meal and chicken meal. This combination allows your dog to extract the maximum amount of nutrition from their food. The amino acids not only aid in the building of newer cells but also support a healthy immune system.
- What’s more, the omega fatty acids in Menhaden fish meal a great for fighting free radicals. The formula also contains naturally occurring microorganisms, which aid in improving gut bacteria, better digestion, and effective metabolism.
- As you would expect, there is no addition of corn, soy, wheat, or other types of artificial allergens. You can feed this recipe to your dog with confidence.
- Puppies are just as susceptible to environmental allergens as adults, perhaps even more so. Taste of the Wild has come up with a recipe specifically for puppies to aid the digestion, and enhance the immune system of your darling pup. You can feed them the formula without having to worry about how they will react to the ingredients.
- Real salmon is the main source of protein in this formula. This lean protein not only provides Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, but it also supplies antioxidants as well. Other essential ingredients in the recipe are fruits, vegetables, and the goodness of oils. Since there is no grain, corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavor, color, or preservatives added, your puppy will remain a happy dog. Designed for puppies, it is an easy to swallow choice your pup will love.
Often it can be hard to distinguish whether an allergy is caused by food or environmental factors. So you need to pick out food that is safe from all kinds of additives and allergens.
Picking hypoallergenic foods for dogs can be tricky. You have to keep an eye out for multiple allergies and still ensure that all nutritional needs of your dog are met.
So what are some of the things you have to consider before buying foods for dogs with allergy issues? Here is what I consider important.