Top 10 Best Dog Food for Hip and Joint
As a pet parent, I can say that there is nothing more relaxing than a walk with your dog. Playtime can make for some of the most beautiful memories of our lives.
Imagine how incomplete your life would be without that kind of quality time.
Unfortunately, this kind of life is a reality for parents of dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, or other joint and mobility issues.
- Top 10 Best Premium Dog Food
- Top 10 Best Senior Dog Foods for Arthritis
- Top 10 Best Dog Food Made In The USA
- Top 10 Best Dog Food For Bernese Mountain Dog
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for All Life Stages
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Cockapoo
- Top 10 Best Taste of the Wild Dog Food
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Ear Infections
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Heart Murmur
It doesn’t have to be that way!
Despite conditions like arthritis and hip dysplasia, you and your dog can still enjoy a wonderful, playful life. You need to manage the condition better.
And as I always say, food is a big factor when it comes to your dog’s health.
Today, I am going to share what I think are the 14 best dog foods for arthritis, hip dysplasia, and joint mobility issues.
Best Dog Foods For Arthritis, Hip Dysplasia, Joint Health
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Healthy Mobility Small Bites Chicken Meal, Brown Rice & Barley Recipe
- Hill’s Prescription is one of my most trusted brands for dogs with health concerns. This particular healthy mobility recipe contains plenty of fish oil and other sources of glucosamine and chondroitin. It helps to keep your pup’s bones and joints strong and healthy.
- It has a powerful blend of antioxidants, which helps to stem inflammation. Moreover: All these ingredients provide for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets JM Joint Mobility Dry Dog Food
- Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Joint Mobility Formula is a prescription food that can make a world of difference for dogs with mobility issues, especially because of arthritis. The formula is normally used for seniors and adults with arthritis but is sometimes prescribed to puppies with similar concerns.
- The formula contains all-natural sources of glucosamine and omega-3 fatty acids. It offers balanced nutrition for all life stages. Since it is a veterinary diet, you need a vet’s authorization for purchase.
Dogswell Happy Hips Lamb & Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
- Dogswell’s Happy hip formula contains cage-free duck and is a delicious way to keep your dog moving without difficulty. This delicious recipe gives your dog good amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin for supporting joint health and contains chelated minerals, which plays a vital role in the effective absorption of nutrients. Since it is a canned formula, the extra moisture help keep your dog hydrated while they enjoy the stewy meal.
- Dogswell’s Happy hip formula is free of grains and other common allergens that can increase inflammation or cause digestive issues for your dog. All of these reasons make it one of the best dog foods for arthritis, hip dysplasia, and joint mobility issues.
Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet W+M Weight Management & Mobility Support
- Made from safe and natural ingredients, Blue Buffalo’s Weight Management + Mobility Support dog food is great for dogs with a not-so-active lifestyle and weight issues. Since these are two are the most common reasons behind joint and mobility issues, you will see a considerable improvement in your dog’s condition.
- The formula can help your dog lose some extra pounds, so it is easier for its bones and joints. It is 100% grain-free, so it is good for dogs with a sensitive tummy. However, it is a prescription-only food and requires veterinary authorization.
VICTOR Performance Formula Dry Dog Food
More meat protein makes VICTOR Purpose Performance a great option for dogs struggling to stay lean. That includes large breeds, but some smaller ones can also benefit from a protein-rich diet – especially when you see signs of joint problems and mobility issues. Aside from protein, the formula is also rich in glucosamine and chondroitin and is gluten-free.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Mobility Support Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Mobility Support JS Large Breed dog food is another prescription option, but this one is formulated for large and giant breeds like Great Danes and St. Bernards. The recipe is formulated with ingredients such as the New Zealand green mussels and can help your dog with joint pain and inflammation that hinders mobility.
- For breeds prone to joint issues, this formula can effectively prevent the risk of developing degenerative diseases such as osteoarthritis. And not to mention, it is a great option to keep the extra pounds off your pooch. Royal Canin veterinary diet also requires veterinary authorization.
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Give your large or giant breed dog a natural way to keep joint and mobility issues at bay. Made with real lamb proteins and antioxidant-rich foods, Diamond Natural prevents common joint-related problems and degenerative diseases. For dogs who are already suffering, there are plenty of ingredients to reduce inflammation and improve mobility. Plus, there is a proprietary probiotic blend to keep the tummy happy.
Wellness Complete Health Senior Deboned Chicken & Barley Recipe Dry Dog Food
Wellness Complete Health is a top pick for senior dogs because it is great for overall health. It contains nutrient-rich ingredients, including chicken, apples, blueberries, spinach, and apples. Taurine, glucosamine and chondroitin are added to keep your senior healthy and active. So, if you have a senior in the house, this is one of the best dog foods for arthritis, hip dysplasia, and joint mobility issues.
Authority Healthy Weight & Joint Support Turkey & Chickpea Formula Adult Dry Dog
This formula helps maintain a healthy weight and healthy joints in large breed dogs. It is ideal for the prevention of these issues in breeds most prone to them. Turkey meal in this formula is a rich source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, two of the most important ingredients for joints and mobility. The best part: it tastes delicious, and even the pickiest pooches would love it.
Blue Buffalo Freedom Senior Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
If you are looking for a grain-free option for your senior dog with arthritis, hip dysplasia, joint or mobility issues, Blue Buffalo Freedom Chicken recipe is your best bet. It is a great option to keep your old pal safe from allergic reactions while giving them enough glucosamine and other essential nutrients.
Purina ONE SmartBlend Vibrant Maturity 7+ Adult Formula
Purina ONE’s SmartBlend formula is ideal for your large breed dogs about to enter their senior years. That is when the risk of developing joint or mobility problems starts to rise. Not only does it contain glucosamine from natural sources, but it also has enhanced botanical oils that support mobility and provide energy. It is a delicious combination of crunchy kibbles and meaty morsels.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food
This one is rich in quality protein and glucosamine. It specifically targets the needs and problems of large breed puppies. If your pup is suffering from any of the joint or bone-related problems, this one can make things manageable. If it is a breed that is susceptible to these diseases, Purina Pro Plan is great for prevention.
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Large Breed Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe
This Hill’s Science Diet formula for large breed puppies is great for pups who are likely to gain more pounds than they should. Increased weight is one of the main causes behind arthritis and joint issues in young pups. With this nutrition-rich recipe, you can keep a check on weight while ensuring healthy joint-friendly ingredients such as calcium, vitamin C, and glucosamine.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Puppy Lamb & Rice Recipe
This one is on almost all my top puppy food lists, and for a good reason. Nutro Wholesome Essentials is a well-rounded formula that promotes the overall health of your puppy. That includes bones and joints as well. No matter the dog breed, this one will keep them healthy, active, and happy while keeping painful joint problems at bay.
There is a lot you need to know when buying food for your dog with arthritis, hip dysplasia, or any other joint issue. Arthritis can be of many types, and mobility issues can have many causes.
Always seek a vet for a proper diagnosis. Dietary changes will only work best when paired with the right medicines, supplements, and management plans. Some of the supplements that can enhance joint and bone health include:
- Methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Vitamin C
Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and creatine are commonly found in prescription and non-prescription dog food for joints and mobility.
Let’s take a look at other ingredients you may find.
Ingredients to Look for
You need to go for ingredients that can heal inflammation and increase the amount of glucosamine and chondroitin. Omega-3 fatty acids are another essential that need to be in good amount. These are the ingredients to look for:
- Bone-in Meat: Look for meat with cartilage linings such as oxtails or poultry neck. This kind of bone-in meat can be very beneficial for joint repair and healing.
- Superfoods: Superfoods such as blueberries and cranberries are powerful antioxidants. They can reduce inflammation and make your pal’s life much manageable with arthritis or joint pain.
- Wild-caught Fish: Fish is a great source of fatty acids that enhances mobility. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. However, always look for the wild-caught variety instead of farm fish. Salmon, herring, and sardines are your best bet.
- Green-lipped Mussels: Green-lipped mussels are also superfoods and they contain lots of glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid, and Omega-3s.
Weight Issues and Joint Problems
Dogs that are overweight or heavier breeds are more likely to develop joint problems and arthritis. It is important to control your dog’s weight through a low-fat diet. Weight management dog food is a good preventive measure. Keep your dog lean and give them regular exercise. Even for dogs who have already developed the disease, light exercise regularly can help them manage pain and mobility.
Now that you know of how you can pick the best dog foods for arthritis, hip dysplasia, and joint mobility issues, let’s continue with more of my top picks.
Like any other disease, joint and mobility issues can also leave pet parents with a lot of questions. I’ve tried to answer some of the most commonly asked ones here. Do check them out before moving on to the buying guide I have prepared.