Top 10 Best Dog Food for Pomsky
The Pomsky breed is a mix of Husky and Pomeranian. Essentially, they look like miniature huskies, and they put the “A” in adorable. These beautiful dogs have become a bit of a social media sensation because of their unique features and numerous celebrities who have been seen toting them around. Pomskies have the classic Husky brown and black markings on a predominantly white fur coat.
They have triangular pointy ears, just like Huskies, and fluffy tails like Pomeranians. Overall, they’re small to medium-sized dogs, weighing in at 30 pounds on average and measuring between 13-20 inches in height. This breed is known to be active and stubborn, but also affectionate and playful.
Pomskies are a great choice for families with lots of time and space. In this guide, we’re going to cover some of the best dog foods for this breed as well as answer some questions regarding feeding.
The 10 Best Dog Foods for Pomsky Dogs
Purina One Smartblend Dry Food – Best Value
|Main Ingredients:||Chicken, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal|
For those on a budget, finding quality dog food can be challenging. However, we highly recommend Purina One Smartblend Chicken & Rice Formula. This formula is cheaper than most out there, but you aren’t sacrificing much. Therefore, if you’re on a strict budget, then this formula is easily the best dog food for a Pomsky for the money.
The first ingredient is chicken, which is a quality ingredient. This meat provides tons of protein and fat for your Pomsky. Rice flour is included as the main carbohydrate source. While this isn’t the best option, it isn’t the worst, either. Corn gluten meal also appears high on the list. While this may seem like a low-quality ingredient, corn is actually extremely digestible. Therefore, it works well for most dogs out there.
On a more negative note, this formula does include chicken by-product meal. The main problem with by-products is that you just don’t know what you’re getting.
This formula does include omega fatty acids, as well as natural sources of glucosamine. Therefore, it appears to have everything your dog needs to thrive.
- By-products included
- Omega fatty acids included
- Chicken as the first ingredient
- Natural sources of glucosamine
Ollie Fresh Chicken Recipe – Best Overall
|Main Ingredients:||Chicken, Carrots, Peas, Rice, Chicken Liver|
For most Pomskies, we highly recommend Ollie Fresh Chicken Recipe. This recipe is made with completely fresh ingredients, which are sure to keep your canine happy and healthy. As you’d expect, this food is far less processed than other options out there, which typically makes it healthier, as well. The ingredients utilized are human-grade and very high-quality, as you can see from simply looking at the food.
This recipe starts with chicken, which is extremely high in protein and fat. Plus, chicken works well for most dogs and is decently inexpensive, making it a good option for those that want to feed fresh food. Chicken liver is included, as well, which increases the overall nutritional content. Carrots, peas, and rice are also included in this formula.
We like that this food is grain-inclusive, which is typically a better option for most dogs. However, this is a surprisingly difficult trait to find in most fresh dog foods. Based on these facts, we can easily say that this is the best overall dog food for Pomskies.
- Requires a subscription
- Organ meats included
- Chicken as the main ingredient
- Completely fresh food
- Easy for small-to-large dogs to eat
Canidae Grain-Free Pure LID Dry Dog Food
|Main Ingredients:||Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lentils, Sweet Potatoes|
If you aren’t on a strict budget, then we highly recommend Canidae Grain-Free Pure LID Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe. As the name suggests, this formula is made with very few ingredients. Therefore, it works well for dogs with stomach sensitivities and allergies. With fewer ingredients, there are few things to upset your dog’s stomach.
The main protein ingredient is salmon, though fish meal is also included. Both of these ingredients add lots of protein and healthy fats to the formula. Fish is naturally high in omega-fatty acids, which are vital for our dog’s health
This formula is grain-free, which is good for dogs with sensitivities. However, we typically don’t recommend grain-free formulas for all dogs, as grain-free foods may be associated with certain health problems.
- High in omega fatty acids
- Salmon as the main ingredient
- Limited Ingredient Diet
- Free from common allergens
Acana Singles + Wholesome Grains LID Dry Food – Vet’s Choice
|Main Ingredients:||Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Oat Groats, Whole Sorghum, Lamb Liver|
Our vet recommends Acana Singles + Wholesome Grains LID Lamb & Pumpkin Recipe as a solid choice for Pomskies of any size. The only meat protein source in this formula is lamb, which is included multiple times. Firstly, deboned lamb is included. Then, lamb meal is added as the second ingredient (which is basically concentrated lamb). Finally, various lamb organ meats are also added to raise the overall nutritional content of the food.
As a grain-inclusive formula, oat groats and whole sorghum also appear on the ingredient list. These grains are gluten-free, which makes them easier for many dogs to digest.
Several other ingredients, such as squash and pumpkin, also appear. However, these are further down on the ingredient list, and therefore, don’t have much input on the food itself. With that said, pumpkin may have a positive impact on some dogs’ stomachs.
- No probiotics or many added nutrients
- Lamb as the primary protein source
- Limited ingredients
- Organ meats included
Country Vet Naturals 28/18 Healthy Puppy Food – Best for Puppies
|Main Ingredients:||Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Brewer’s Rice, Fish Meal|
What you feed your puppy is extremely important. For your Pomsky puppy, we recommend Country Vet Naturals 28/18 Healthy Puppy Dog Food. While this formula is much cheaper than many other options out there, it is made with quality ingredients and includes everything your puppy needs to thrive.
Chicken meal appears as the first ingredient, which is an extremely high-quality option. Brown rice adds carbohydrates and fiber to the mixture—and prevents this formula from being grain-free. Chicken fat, fish meal, and many other animal-based ingredients are also included to raise the overall protein and amino acid content.
We love that this formula is high in omega fatty acids, which are important for brain and eye development. Probiotics are also added to increase digestion health.
- Not for all life stages
- Lots of meat-based ingredients
- Made specifically for puppies
- Not terribly expensive
American Journey Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
|Main Ingredients:||Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Peas, Sweet Potatoes|
American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe isn’t terrible dog food. However, there were several reasons why it ended up on the bottom of our list. Firstly, it is grain-free, which we don’t recommend for most dogs. Secondly, it uses high amounts of peas and sweet potatoes instead of adding extra meat. Thirdly, it is quite expensive, and you aren’t getting much for the increased cost. The value just isn’t there.
With that said, this formula does include a lot of different meats. Chicken and turkey both appear pretty high on the ingredient list. Therefore, this formula includes a range of amino acids. This formula also includes a range of fruits and veggies for added nutrition. For instance, blueberries, kelp, and carrots are all added.
We also liked that salmon oil and flaxseed were both added. These ingredients add omega fatty acids to the formula.
- High in peas
- Chicken and turkey included
- Range of fruits and veggies added
- High in omega fatty acids
Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Dry Dog Food
|Main Ingredients:||Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Peas|
Despite the name, we recommend Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Dry Dog Food for all sizes of Pomskies. While the brand is called Gentle Giants, this food isn’t actually solely designed for larger dogs.
This formula utilizes chicken as the primary ingredient, followed by a range of whole grains. All of these contribute to the overall nutritional content of the food. Plus, grains provide a lot of fiber, which is helpful for many canines. With that said, peas are utilized as well, which may cause problems for some dogs.
This formula includes prebiotics and probiotics. Both of these ingredients help with your dog’s digestive health and are vital for a well-rounded diet. Many nutrients are added, as well, such as taurine. Therefore, this formula easily contains everything your dog needs to thrive.
- Peas included
- May include too much grain
- Probiotics added
- Chicken as the primary ingredient
- Whole grains included
Diamond Naturals All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
|Main Ingredients:||Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, White Rice|
Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula is a cheaper formula that provides quality nutrition for most Pomskies. It is designed to meet the needs of all life stages, which means puppies, adults, and seniors can all consume this food. If your dog likes it, this means that you could safely utilize it throughout their whole lifespan.
Like many cheaper foods, this formula includes chicken as the primary ingredient. Both whole chicken and chicken meal are utilized, which helps increase the nutritional content of the formula. Several whole grains are utilized, as well. However, refined rice also appears lower down the list, which isn’t necessarily a great option for most dogs.
This formula does include a high amount of protein and fat. Therefore, it is a bit more calorie-dense than other formulas. You’ll have to feed less in most cases, but this also means that it may make your dog more prone to obesity, assuming that you don’t follow the feeding guidelines.
- High in fat
- Refined rice included
- Chicken as the first ingredient
- Includes many whole grains
- Designed for all life stages
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food
|Main Ingredients:||Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal|
Blue Buffalo is a very popular dog food brand. While they do tend to be expensive compared to other brands, we do recommend the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe for those that aren’t on a strict budget. This formula includes deboned chicken as the first ingredient, followed by chicken meal. Both of these ingredients contain high amounts of amino acids, which our dogs need to thrive.
Whole grains also appear throughout the ingredient list. We typically recommend a grain-inclusive formula like this one to most dogs, as it contains high amounts of fiber. Fiber is vital for digestive health and is often overlooked in dog food.
Omega fatty acids are added, as well as glucosamine. These ingredients support your dog’s overall health. We also liked that all the minerals are chelated, which helps your dog digest them a bit better.
- No probiotics
- Chicken as the main ingredient
- Chelated minerals
- Added nutrients like glucosamine
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
|Main Ingredients:||Water Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas|
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a grain-free formula that utilizes sweet potatoes and peas instead of grains. It doesn’t actually include any more meat, despite the grain-free label. The use of peas in dog foods has also been associated with several health problems, which is something to keep in mind.
There are several types of meat utilized in this dog food. Water buffalo, lamb, and chicken all appear early on the list. These meats help diversify your dog’s diet and increase the protein content by a lot. However, this food’s protein content may be a bit too high for many dogs. There is such a thing as too much protein.
With that said, this formula does include probiotics. Several fruits and veggies are also added, which increase the nutritional content of this food. We do love that this food is made in the USA by a family-owned company, as well.
- High in protein and fat
- Many types of meat included
- Made in the USA
Buyer’s Guide: Selecting the Best Dog Food for Pomsky
When you’re shopping for food for your Pomsky, there are several things you need to keep in mind. We’ll take a look at these factors below so that you can choose the best option for your canine.
- Fats are also vital, as your dog utilizes them for energy and development. For instance, much of the brain is made out of fat. Therefore, fat is vital for brain health. Fat is also highly digestible, which allows your dog to easily utilize the energy in their food.
- Fats are made out of fatty acids. The kind of fatty acid varies depending on the source, and it does matter. There are two main types of fatty acids your dog needs, including omega fatty acids. Good sources of omega-fatty acids include fish oil, flaxseed, sunflower, and animal fats.
- Each food should preferably start with a meat protein of some sort. Chicken and beef are the most common. However, the exact animal doesn’t matter all that much as long as your dog doesn’t have allergies. (If they do, you should avoid their allergen.)
- Most animal protein is quite digestible, which is vital. It doesn’t matter much if a food contains a lot of protein. If your dog can’t digest it, it isn’t going to do them much good. Grains and vegetable-based protein usually have a lower digestibility. Therefore, plant-protein isolates aren’t recommended. While they may increase the amount of crude protein, they won’t add much to the actual protein your canine is absorbing.
Grain-Free and Grain-Inclusive
- Grain-free foods are commonly touted as healthier for our dogs. The thought process behind this is that wolves don’t eat grains, and therefore our dogs don’t need to eat them, either. However, our dogs are much different from wolves. Their digestion system has developed a lot since their days as wolves. Therefore, assuming that dogs need to eat the same as wolves no longer fits.
- Grains provide tons of energy and are easily digestible in most cases. Whole grains also provide nutrients and fiber, which is vital for a functioning digestion system.
- Furthermore, grain-free foods are not necessarily higher in meat. Usually, companies utilize peas and other cheap veggies in place of grains in grain-free foods. Peas are being investigated by the FDA for causing some health problems in dogs. Therefore, we recommend avoiding them when possible.
- To find out how many carbs a dog food includes, it is better to check the guaranteed analysis. Just because a food is grain-free doesn’t mean that it is high in protein.
- Dogs need different nutrition at different times of their life. Adult dogs are no longer growing, and therefore need fewer nutrients and calories than puppies. You can often feed an adult dog according to its active level.
- However, puppies need specialized nutrition to ensure that they have all the nutrients and energy they need to develop. In many cases, this means feeding them a food specifically designed for puppies.
- You should feed your Pomsky puppy food until they stop growing. All-life stages food can be fed to both adults and puppies. Many owners prefer this food, as they don’t have to change their dog’s food when they reach adulthood.
- While there are many senior formulas out there, most senior dogs don’t actually need specialized nutrition. Senior dog foods simply contain extra nutrients that may help with health problems commonly experienced by senior dogs. However, that doesn’t mean that they are necessarily better for all senior pets.
There are many dog foods out there, so choosing just one for your pet can seem daunting. Luckily, all of the dog foods included on our list above work great for most dogs. Therefore, you can’t go wrong by choosing any of them.
With that said, our favorite for most dogs is Ollie Fresh Chicken Recipe. This fresh dog food is made with only the best ingredients and delivered straight to your door. No more running out of dog food right before mealtime.
If you’re on a budget, we recommend looking at Purina One Smartblend Chicken & Rice Formula. While this formula does include one or two less-than-stellar ingredients, it is made with chicken as the first ingredient and is full of nutrients.
Hopefully, at least one formula stood out to you as a great option for your dog.