Top 10 Best Dog Food for Puggles
The Puggle combines features of the Pug and the Beagle. It is a small breed and may adopt the flat, brachycephalic face of its Pug parent or the healthier face of the Beagle. The designer breed can be prone to putting on a lot of weight. As well as ensuring your Puggle’s nutritional requirements are met, you will need to stick closely to a calorie-controlled diet and may want to choose a food specifically for small breeds and those with brachycephalic faces, so it is easier to pick up, chew, and digest.
Below are 10 of the best dog foods for Puggles, as well as a guide to choosing the best food for you and your dog.
The 10 Best Dog Food for Puggles
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dog Food – Best Value
|Main ingredients:||Water buffalo, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas|
|Calories:||422 kcal per cup|
Our pick is Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food for the best value for the money. This grain-free recipe contains a high content of protein. The number one ingredient is buffalo which helps to support joints and bones and maintain lean muscle. The venison and bison are mixed with raspberries, blueberries, and tomatoes. The food contains other vegetables and fruits to provide your pup with fatty acids and nutrients to thrive. The food does contain peas and should be discussed with your veterinarian, however.
The food is priced right for a high-quality, high-protein diet. Although, some of the ingredients are sourced from China.
There may be issues with the size of the kibble if your dog has a small or sensitive mouth. Otherwise, reviewers are pleased with the results. The dogs liked the flavor and were excited to eat.
Ollie Turkey Recipe – Best Overall
|Main ingredients:||Turkey breast, kale, lentils, carrots, coconut oil|
|Calories:||1,390 kcal per kg|
Ollie Turkey Recipe is our best overall choice for dog food for Puggles. The fresh turkey with blueberries will provide your Puggles with a complete and balanced diet. The food is all natural and slow-cooked to preserve the nutrients. The fish oil in the recipes provides your dog with essential fatty acids. The omega-3 and omega-6 help to promote heart and brain health. They also provide your canine with energy and help to absorb vitamins. Ollie’s food is made in the U.S. and is formulated for dogs of all ages.
The food is developed with the help of nutritionists to ensure the diet is prepared for your dog’s specific needs. For instance, once you provide Ollie’s with the required information, they can adjust the recipe and omit ingredients that may not agree with your dog’s digestive system.
Ollie’s offers baked, fresh, and mixed foods. The baked and mixed foods are fine in a container or cabinet. The fresh food requires a freezer and may not be an option for someone with limited freezer space.
Ollie’s is a subscription service that is delivered directly to your home. The high quality and convenience of Ollie’s Dog Food is costly, however.
Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics Dry Dog Food
|Main ingredients:||Chicken, rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine), soybean meal|
|Calories:||387 kcal per cup|
Our premium choice of dog food for Puggles is Purina Pro Plan High Protein Shredded Blend Chicken and Rice Formula with Probiotics Dry Dog Food. The main ingredients in this formula are chicken and rice. The high-protein diet includes grains that will provide your pup with energy and keep his body in optimal condition. The mix of tender chicken and crunchy bits of rice are sure to entice the dog’s palate.
The food is formulated to help skin stay healthy and its coat stay shiny. It is also suitable for all breed sizes. The food includes probiotics to support digestive health and fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat.
Some of the reviewers find that the food is a bit pricey, and it is difficult to get a small bag. Other reviews claim that the large kibble is difficult to chew, and fussy eaters do not like it.
Merrick Healthy Grains Dog Food – Vet’s Choice
|Main ingredients:||Deboned salmon, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, oatmeal|
|Calories:||396 kcal per cup|
Our vet’s choice for a Puggles is Merrick Healthy Grains Real Salmon & Brown Rice with Ancient Grains Dog Food Recipe. With ingredients like chicken, brown rice, apples, and carrots, your dog is sure to run for it. The food is made with real salmon, which is the main ingredient. Salmon helps build and maintain healthy muscles. The grain-inclusive formula includes brown rice and ancient grains that will aid and support your pup’s digestive health. The formula includes omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to keep the dog’s skin and coat healthy, too.
The Merrick Healthy Grains is an ideal choice for pet owners that prefer to feed their dog a pea, lentil, and potato-free diet.
Other than a few negative reviews about taste and smell, users of Merrick are pleased with the food.
Holistic Select Adult & Puppy Health Dry Food – Best for Puppies
|Main ingredients:||Salmon, potatoes, peas, menhaden fish meal, dried ground potatoes|
|Calories:||448 kcal per cup|
Our pick for the best choice of dog food for Puggles puppies is Holistic Select Adult & Puppy Health Grain-Free Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food. The food is a good choice for Puggles. The recipe includes real food ingredients like cranberries and pumpkin. Holistic Select does not use artificial flavors or preservatives in their foods.
The Salmon recipe may help ease digestion in puppies with sensitive stomachs. The grain-free food also contains peas which is a controversial ingredient1 and should be discussed with your veterinarian.
Our reviews found that the food has a strong fish smell and picky eaters may not like it.
The Farmer’s Dog
|Main ingredients:||Chicken, brussels sprouts, chicken liver, Bok-choy cabbage, broccoli|
|Calories:||590 kcal per lb|
The Farmer’s Dog Chicken Recipe is a human-grade dog food that is ideal for Puggles. Veterinarians and nutritionists develop recipes to provide your pet with a complete and balanced diet. The food contains real ingredients that are slow-cooked to preserve the nutritional value.
The recipes include four choices including beef, turkey, chicken, or pork. The proteins are mixed with vegetables like Bok-choy, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and lentils. The food is pre-packaged, so your pup gets the right portion for his age, weight, breed, and activity level.
The food is available with a subscription service that is delivered to your home in packages that are ready to serve. The Farmer’s Dog requests some basic information about your pet. Once you have completed the questionnaire, the company uses the information to create some recipes that are sure to please you and your dog.
The cost of The Farmer’s Dog is on the high end, which is not surprising considering the high quality and convenience of the product.
Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult 7+ Senior Dry Dog Food
|Main ingredients:||Chicken, Poultry by-product meal, rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal|
|Calories:||423 kcal per cup|
Our choice for a senior Puggles is Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult 7+ Senior Chicken and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. This special diet will provide your older Puggle with a high-protein diet that includes grain. The food contains botanical oils that help a senior dog with mental sharpness to help the mind stay alert and his memory intact. The formula includes chicken as the main ingredient to provide your senior dog with energy. The glucosamine and fatty acids are added to support joint health and promote healthy skin and coat.
The formula is suitable for all size breeds that are seven years old and above. The high-protein diet is an excellent choice for senior Puggles that may tend to be overweight. If you have a senior dog with dental issues, you will appreciate the small size kibble. It may be easier for it to chew.
This is a grain inclusive formula for pet owners that do not want a grain-free diet for their pet. If you have a picky eater, you may want to find something else. There are mixed reviews on the taste.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
|Main ingredients:||Lamb meal, brown rice, brewers rice, dried beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixes of tocopherols)|
If you have a Puggle with food sensitivities or allergies, you may want to consider Rachael Ray Nutrish Limited Ingredient Lamb Meal and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food. The formula is limited to six ingredients, and it is free from artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and fillers. For dogs that have sensitivities to certain ingredients, the real lamb will tempt your dog’s palate and aid in digestion. The food is packed with vitamins and minerals to ensure your dog gets the nutrients it needs to thrive.
The high-quality ingredients are cooked in the U.S., and the formula is free from wheat, soy, corn, and gluten.
If you are a pet owner with a limited budget, Rachael Ray Nutrish Limited Ingredient Dog Food may be an affordable option for you.
Some reviewers are not impressed. They complain that the food stinks and is waxy or oily. Their dogs agreed and would not eat it.
Royal Canin Veterinary Adult Satiety Support Canned Food
|Main ingredients:||Water sufficient for processing, pork-by-products, pork liver, chicken by-products, corn meal|
|Calories:||241 kcal per can|
Our pick for a weight management dog food for Puggles is Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Satiety Support Weight Management Loaf in Sauce Canned Dog Food. The fiber blend in this veterinary diet helps your pet to feel fuller so he is satisfied longer. This is a good formula for Puggles that are obese or overweight and need to reduce their caloric intake. It is specially formulated to support your pudgy pet’s joints and bones. The high protein content helps to maintain muscle strength while providing Fido with the complete and balanced diet it needs to stay lean and healthy.
The Royal Canin wet diet is a desirable choice for pet owners of all breed sizes, including Puggles that need to lose and maintain a healthy weight. However, the Royal Canin Diet is on the costly side and requires authorization from your vet.
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Canned Dog Food
|Main ingredients:||Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, carrots, peas|
|Calories:||451 kcal per cup|
We chose Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Chicken Dinner with Garden Vegetables and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food for Puggles that may need extra hydration. Serve it to your pet alone or mixed with some kibble. The soft diet is also a good choice for older dogs or Puggles with dental issues.
The chicken in the recipe is the main ingredient and will give your dog the energy it needs to stay active. The food includes ingredients like carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, and brown rice. There are no artificial flavors or preservatives, and it does not contain any by-product meals.
The Blue Buffalo Chicken Dinner contains some controversial ingredients and should be discussed with your veterinarian, however.
Buyer’s Guide: Picking the Best Dog Food for Puggles
The Puggle is a designer or hybrid dog breed that crosses the Pug and the Beagle—two very popular pet breeds. It is a small to medium breed, depending on whether it has more Pug or Beagle in its genes, and it may or may not have the squashed or brachycephalic face of the Pug. The best food and the right quantity of food will depend on the size of your Puggle, as well as its physical characteristics, age, and its personal preferences. Below, you can find more information about the Puggle breed and the best dog food for Puggles.
Dry vs. Wet Food
- The first question most dog owners have, when it comes to feeding, is whether to give dry food or wet food.
- Dry food is cooked and processed into a small biscuit, or kibble. Dry food has a long shelf life and can be left down for several hours, making it a good choice for grazers, which are dogs that like to eat their food over the course of several hours rather than during a set and specific mealtime. However, dry food is not usually as palatable or appealing to dogs. It also has less protein and more carbohydrates than wet food, although this does depend on ingredients and brand.
- Wet food is palatable, contains moisture to ensure your dog remains hydrated, but can be higher in fat and protein. Wet food has a shorter shelf life and open cans or pouches need to be stored in the fridge between meals. Any food left after an hour or two of being fed needs to be lifted to prevent it going bad and potentially making your dog ill.
- You can feed a combination of dry and wet food, either in the same bowl or separate bowl. If you do this, you will need to adjust the amount of both foods so that you do not give too many calories. The easiest way is to feed 50% of the recommended dry food total and 50% of the recommended wet food total.
- The Puggle is a designer breed, which means that it was first bred to take the positive attribute of both parent breeds, while avoiding some of the negative attributes. The resulting dog will usually be somewhere between the small size of the Pug and the medium size of the Beagle, and the combination of facial features means that the Puggle typically has the look of a small mastiff rather than either of the two original breeds.
- The Puggle makes a good family dog, is loyal and loving, and it does have plenty of energy and character. Hopefully, your Puggle will inherit the intelligence and trainability of the Beagle but will not be prone to its vocalizations. Similarly, the breed can benefit from the fun character and the lapdog attributes of the Pug but without the concerns of the brachycephalic facial features.
- The Puggle is somewhat prone to putting on too much weight, however, and this can lead to a host of physical and physiological problems, so choosing a good-quality food and sticking to a strict feeding regimen will help prevent this.
Dogs have different nutritional and dietary requirements at different stages of their life.
- Puppies benefit from more calories to help them grow, and additional protein to help build and maintain muscles.
- Senior dogs, on the other hand, usually benefit from consuming fewer calories because they move around less so are unable to burn off as many calories. They do need more protein than adult dogs, however, because their bodies use more protein for maintenance.
Check the food you buy is considered nutritionally suitable for your dog, according to its age or life stage. Puppy food is usually suitable for Puggles up to the age of between 10–12 months, while senior food is recommended or dogs aged 7 years and over.
The Puggle can range from small to medium size, depending on whether it is more like a Pug or a Beagle. Dog food formulated for small dogs not only includes appropriate vitamins, minerals, and protein and fat ratios for diminutive dogs, but it also has smaller pieces that are easier to pick up and digest for your small breed.
How Much Dog Food Should a Puggle Eat?
The amount of food a Puggle eats depends on its size, age, and its general activity levels. Generally, though, this breed needs between ½ and 1½ cups of dry food per day. For wet food, check the manufacturer guidelines on the packet and weigh your dog to ensure you feed an accurate amount.
How Many Times a Day Should a Puggle Eat?
Generally, it is recommended that dogs should eat at least twice a day and that the meals should be approximately 12 hours apart. Some people choose to feed three meals, but most Puggles will do well with two specific meals. A gap of more than 12 hours between meals can cause nausea in your dog.
Food portioning requirements are detailed per day, or 24-hour period, so you will need to divide this by the number of meals you feed. And don’t forget to reduce the daily amount according to whether you feed treats or use food as a training tool.
- For Puggles, our best overall pick is Ollie’s human-grade dog food. Your Puggle is sure to enjoy the slow-cooked food that is made with real meat, fruit, and veggies. The customized, pre-portioned meals are conveniently delivered to your door so you can spend more time with your pet and less time at the local pet store.
- For pet owners that are on a tight budget and want a grain-free diet for their Puggles, we picked Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dog Food for the best value for the money.
- Our premium choice for Puggles is Purina Pro Plan High Protein Shredded Blend Chicken and Rice Formula with Probiotics Dry Dog Food to provide your dog with the protein and carbohydrates it needs for an active and energetic life.
- For Puggles puppies, our pick is Holistic Select Adult & Puppy Grain-Free Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food. The ingredient will support your puppy’s digestive health now and in adulthood.
- Our vet’s choice for Puggles is Merrick Healthy Grains Real Salmon & Brown Rice Recipe with Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food to provide your dog with a balanced diet. The grain-inclusive formula is an excellent choice for pet owners that do not want to feed their pet a grain-free diet.
- We hope this review helps to narrow the search for the perfect food for your pet. We do recommend, however, that you discuss your pet’s diet with your vet.