Top 10 Best Dog Food for Weimaraner
The sleek, silvery Weimaraner makes a beautiful, fun addition to the home. With their high intelligence and never-ending energy, you will have a playmate whenever you want one and even after you’re worn out. In between games, your Weim will be looking for delicious food to satisfy their hearty appetite. Since they are considered a large-breed dog and are extremely active, a Weimaraner needs extra protein and nutrition to fuel their daily activities. They also need food that is easily digestible and free of grains such as wheat and corn which can aggravate allergies. Puppies need food that will provide proper amounts of protein that promote a slower growth rate.
Trying to pick the best food for your dog can be a daunting task, but now it doesn’t have to be. We have compared the best dog foods on the market and compiled a list of our top 6 picks. Check out our detailed reviews and know that no matter which of these foods you choose, your Weimaraner will be healthy and happy.
- Top 10 Best dog food in the world
- Top 10 Best Ingredients for Homemade Dog Food
- Top 10 Best Hydrolyzed Dog Food
- Top 10 Best Refrigerated Dog Food
- Top 10 Best airtight dog food container
- Top 10 Best Lamb Dog Food
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Akitas
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Colitis
Senior Weimaraner Nutrient Needs
- All dogs are different, but you might notice that your pup starts to put a little bit of weight on them. Or he might become less active. Senior recipes are designed to provide all the goodness needed without as much energy and fats. Keeping your older pooch at a healthy weight is crucial to minimizing the likelihood of suffering from weight-related health concerns.
- Senior options usually have higher fiber contents, providing a low-calorie recipe that still helps your pup feel full in between mealtimes. Plus, it can aid with his slowing digestive system. High-quality senior dog foods contain higher levels of glucosamine and chondroitin to support aching joints. Look for ingredients such as meat meals, fish, fish oils, green-lipped mussels, and other meat products such as cartilage and organs.
Adult Weimaraner Nutrient Needs
- Adults need less energy and fats now because they have completed most of their growing. And adult food provides a more balanced diet. Like before, you should stick to large breed recipes to meet his unique large breed needs. According to AAFCO, the minimum protein content needed for an adult dog is reduced to 18%.
- If you have a working Weimaraner, you should feed him a performance formula that meets his high-energy needs. In addition to energy, all dogs need vitamins and minerals to strengthen their immunity. Look for fruits and veggies in the ingredients list, as well as added supplements. Healthy omega fats are still crucial for adulthood. They help with vitamin and mineral absorption, along with bone health for his hardworking joints.
- Many Weimaraners are known to suffer from sensitive stomachs and skin. There are a few options specifically designed for sensitive skin that do not require a veterinary prescription. When it comes to delicate stomachs, look for recipes that contain probiotic ingredients such as ‘dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.’ Probiotics promote friendly bacteria in the gut. Limited ingredient diets are also great choices too, as they are simple to digest.
Weimaraner Puppy Nutritional Needs
- This breed is expected to weigh between 55 and 90 pounds at maturity, making him a large dog breed. And large dog breeds need, you guessed it, puppy food designed for large breed pups. Many dog owners ask if it really makes any difference. Yes, it does! Let us explain.
- Large breed puppy food contains optimized calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and fat levels. These help to control the rapid bone growth that large dogs experience. And rapid bone growth can increase the chances of joint dysplasia and other skeletal problems. So, it can make a big difference between a healthy and not-so-healthy pooch.
- Feeding your Weimaraner high-quality food also ensures that he eats healthy omega fats from the best ingredients. Healthy fats help keep his silvery coat looking his best and take care of eye and brain development. Look for ingredients such as fish, fish oils, meat meals, eggs, and flaxseed. These ingredients also provide docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (ARA). These are found in mothers’ milk and are important for steady development.
- Another main component of puppy food is protein. This provides him with the building blocks (amino acids) that he needs to grow into a healthy, adult ghost. The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) recommends that all puppies need a minimum protein content of 22%. Meat should always be the first ingredient, and meat meals are just as good as real meats as they are just concentrated protein.
The 10 Best Dog Foods for Weimaraners
Iams ProActive Health Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food — Best Value
Iams ProActive Health dog food is formulated just for large breed adult dogs, just like your Weimaraner, which is why this is our choice as the best dog food for Weimaraners for the money. The only reason we didn’t choose this for our number-one spot is that it relies more heavily on supplements for nutrition than our first pick does.
This food features whole chicken as the first ingredient, which is a flavor that most Weimaraners can’t resist. Barley and beet pulp help round out this tasty food blend to ensure that your dog gets the vitamins and minerals that they need to thrive. You won’t find any artificial ingredients lurking in this formula, but you will find essential vitamin B12 support for healthy vision, bones, and body mass.
The included rosemary extract not only helps preserve this dog food, but it will also help keep your dog’s breath smelling fresh between meals. This food contains carrots and eggs, both of which are important for a healthy life as your dog ages. Flaxseed provides the essential omega fatty acids that your dog needs for healthy skin and fur. One downside is that this hard kibble can be tough for older dogs with fragile teeth to chew and therefore, properly digest.
- Extra crunchy kibble can be tough for older dogs to chew
- Features real chicken as the first ingredient
- Includes a healthy source of omega fatty acids
- Contains produce like carrots
Nom Nom Dog Food — Best Overall
Nom Nom dog food uses veterinarians and certified specialists to craft recipes with nutrition and wellness for your dogs in mind. They use fresh and natural ingredients with every recipe made in individual portions to ensure maximum quality. The great thing about Nom Nom is the option to provide details about your dog’s needs, including their diet, allergies, and more, to tailor their food specifically to them. This brand offers delivery and subscription-based plans so that you don’t have to visit the pet store for a new bag of food every week!
There are numerous health benefits to switching to raw food, such as increased energy, less shedding, weight management, easier digestion, and more. Each recipe is created with the help of a team of experts so that every pre-portioned and packaged meal is beneficial to your dog.
- Difficult to store
- Tailored to your dog’s needs
- Natural ingredients
- Free delivery
- Made in US kitchens
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet is made just for large breed dogs like your Weimaraner. It features real chicken as the first ingredient so your dog will never feel dissatisfied or hungry after a meal. While it does provide all the vitamins and minerals that your big dog needs daily, these nutrients are delivered largely via supplementation. This food does contain fillers like corn and soy. It’s also not grain-free, which can be a problem for dogs with sensitive bellies. But it doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients or harsh preservatives. Overall, this is a suitable food for any active Weimaraner.
- Does contain grains and fillers like corn and soy
- Doesn’t include many vegetables
- Made specifically for large breed dogs
- Features real chicken
Diamond Naturals Adult Dry Dog Food
This beef formula is designed specifically for adult dogs and is made to satiate the healthy appetites of large breeds like the Weimaraner. Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice Formula is infused with probiotics to support your dog’s digestive system. It also contains superfoods like kale and blueberries to support a healthy immune system. Coconut is added for soft skin and a shiny coat.
What’s not in this food is just as important as what is included. There are no fillers like corn or wheat, to ensure that the formula won’t irritate your dog’s digestive tract. No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives are used either. What’s more, this formula is made in the United States, not imported from an unknown location. However, because it is made in the U.S.A., it is a little more expensive than similar options on the market.
- Not suitable for puppies
- More expensive than similar options
- Made with beef and fish for protein and flavor
- Includes coconut oil for a healthy coat
- Easy on the digestive tract
Purina Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food — Best for Puppies
If your Weimaraner is still a puppy, they need a special kind of food that contains extra protein and fat to help them grow strong as they age. Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy food offers all the protein and energy that a growing puppy needs to stay active throughout the day. Not only will your dog get the nutrients they need as a puppy, but they will receive everything they will need as adults. Therefore, this food makes it easy to transition from puppy to adult food at about 12 months of age.
The star ingredient here is chicken for optimal protein intake and rice for a clean supply of energy. This food also contains probiotics to support healthy digestion as your pup grows into an adult. Fish oils provide plenty of the essential omega fatty acids that your pooch needs. The one problem with this food is that it doesn’t contain as wide a variety of produce as other options on our Weimaraner dog food reviews list.
- Missing produce ingredients that similar options offer
- Made just for large breed puppies
- Features real chicken
- Promotes healthy digestion
Acana High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food, Red Meat Recipe
Another quality food from Acana, the Red Meat Recipe features beef and pork as animal protein in the first two ingredients. With 60% animal ingredients, and a total of 29% protein, it doesn’t have the high protein content of our premium pick, but it is still adequate. The grain-free mix uses vegetables and fruit to make up the 27% carbohydrate content. There are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives to upset your dog’s digestion. Probiotics, vitamins, and minerals are included for complete nutrition.
With a lower protein content than some of the other choices on this list, you may not want to feed this to a younger Weimaraner who is active all day. It also only has two animal protein sources and carries a higher price tag than several other options on this list.
CANIDAE All Life Stages Large Breed Dry Dog Food
CANIDAE All Life Stages large breed dog food is an excellent food option for your Weimaraner, no matter how old they are. It is veterinarian formulated, so you can have peace of mind knowing that every nutrient your pooch needs will be supplied. This food is made of real turkey, brown rice, peas, and alfalfa. It’s supplemented with vitamin B and a host of antioxidants that will keep your furry family member’s immune system in tip-top shape.
It also includes HealthPlus Solutions, which is a mix of probiotics and fatty acids that aid in proper digestion and healthy fur growth. It is also void of allergens like soy and corn. The only downside to this food is that the kibble pieces are large, so they may be tough for very young puppies to chew thoroughly.
- Large kibble pieces can be hard for young puppies to chew
- Made for all life stages and large breeds
- Veterinarian formulated
Merrick Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
As they say, you are what you eat, and the same goes for your Weimaraner. We chose Merrick Grain-Free dry dog food as a top pick because it’s full of goodness and free of unnecessary ingredients, like artificial flavorings and fillers such as corn. Featuring Texas beef and sweet potatoes, Merrick Grain-Free dog food is made of 65% protein and fat, making it an excellent source of energy for active dogs like the Weimaraner.
Being gluten-free, this formula can be fed to dogs with sensitive digestive systems. Protein sources come from beef, lamb, salmon, and liver, which all offer rich sources of vitamins and minerals. In addition, this food includes clean carbohydrate energy via ingredients like sweet potatoes and peas that will sustain your Weimaraner’s high-energy needs throughout the day.
You’ll also find antioxidant-rich foods like blueberries on the ingredients list. The food is preserved with tocopherols, which is a natural preservative made of vitamin E. This not only serves as a preservative but also acts as a powerful antioxidant that helps fight off free radicals. It helps keep vision and the immune system strong. But compared to other similar options on the market, this high-quality dog food doesn’t come cheap, especially when you consider the amount of food that a Weimaraner can eat.
- More expensive than other similar brands
- Blueberries offer a rich source of antioxidants
- Features high-quality protein from beef, lamb, salmon, and liver
- Includes quality carbohydrate energy via sweet potatoes and peas
- Naturally preserved
American Journey Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This grain-free formula is a great option for Weimaraners that have food sensitivities or weak digestive systems. Salmon is the first ingredient, which not only offers quality protein but also provides the essential amino acids that your dog needs for good health. Sweet potatoes complement the flavor of the food while giving your dog the long-lasting energy that they need to power through their active day.
American Journey grain-free dog food also includes chickpeas in place of fillers like corn to provide plenty of fiber. One problem we found with this food is that it doesn’t stay fresh for long when stored in its original packaging. It’s a good idea to transfer the food to a sealable container to ensure that none gets wasted.
- Original packaging isn’t protective from the elements
- Basic formula is easy to digest
- Free of grains and fillers like corn
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food
This is a holistic formula that focuses on whole food nutrition that provides clean protein and energy that will help your Weimaraner thrive throughout their life. Real chicken and brown rice make up the bulk of this Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula, but there is much more to the food than these two important ingredients. Natural ingredients such as tomatoes, peas, turmeric, kelp, alfalfa, and chicory root help round out this highly nutritious formula.
All these ingredients come together to provide all the important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants necessary to support a healthy immune system and an active lifestyle. In addition, Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula contains Yucca Schidigera, which should help reduce the unpleasant odor of your pooch’s poop. The kibble pieces are boring looking, but our dogs seem to like the taste, which is what matters most. But because this food is lower in protein than other options on our reviews list, you may go through this food faster, which could become costly over time.
- Large breeds may go through this food quickly
- Made with real meat, whole grains, fruits, and veggies
- Infused with antioxidants to promote a strong immune system
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose the Best Dog Foods for Your Weimaraner
Ready to go shopping for your Weimaraner’s perfect food? Before you rush out the door or hit “buy” on your phone, consider the pros and cons of each option, your dog’s nutritional needs, and your budget. Use this handy buyer’s guide to expedite the process and soon, you will be watching your beloved pet enjoying a nutritious meal.
Make a List
What are you looking for in your dog’s ideal food? Write down what kind of protein you want, whether you want grains or need grain-free recipes, and any other specific ingredients your Weimaraner needs. Then make a list of the ingredients you don’t want your Weim eating. Are corn, wheat, and soy off-limits? Maybe preservatives and artificial ingredients are banned from the dog bowl. Use your checklist when comparing brands, so that you can quickly and easily determine which one fits your needs.
Check the Return Policy
You never know what will happen when introducing new food to your pet, so it’s wise to make sure you can return the bag of food if it doesn’t work out. Check to see if you can return a partial bag, what the time limit is, and what you need to bring with you. This can potentially save you money and a good deal of frustration.
Have a Second Choice Ready
Just because your dog initially likes a certain food, it doesn’t mean that they will like it forever. What happens if they ignore the food they previously preferred? Instead of starting the hunt all over again, have a second choice already picked out. You can immediately start switching them over to the alternative without wasting time and energy. Or even better, practice a food rotation to support a healthy gut microbiome, just remember; transitions need to be gradual.
We know how important nutrition is to you and your Weimaraner, and we think that any commercial dog food on our reviews list will satisfy your peace of mind and your dog’s taste buds. We highly recommend checking out Nom Nom Dog Food, which is our number-one choice. It’s full of whole food nutrition and you won’t find any artificial or unhealthy ingredients in the formula. We also think our second pick, Iams Pro-Active, deserves your serious consideration because it features real chicken, vitamin B12 support, and plenty of omega fatty acids.
We hope that the information we’ve provided to you here makes the process of finding the perfect food for your Weimaraner a cinch. What kind of food do you think your Weimaraner would enjoy the best? Do you have any tips or tricks to share about choosing the right food?