Top 10 Best Dog Food for Whippet
This updated guide covers all of the best dog foods for whippets available right now…
When choosing dog food for your Whippet, you need to put in a little more time and effort that you do with most breeds.
That’s because Whippets have very specific needs. They burn energy like crazy, so a food high in protein and fat is mandatory for their survival. Ingredients like canola oil are good for them even though it’s something you won’t find in other foods.
If all of this sounds a little overwhelming, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
I’ve done my research and come up with The 10 Best Dog Foods for Whippets. They are all nutritionally satisfying, safe, and well-suited to the proper care and feeding of your Whippet.
The Best Dog Food for Whippet
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Chicken Meal & Barley Dog Food
- Whippets need a nourishing diet during puppyhood to grow into healthy and active adults. That’s why we have chosen Hill’s Science Diet for this breed. It’s primarily made from chicken and whole grains to help build muscle blocks and fuel your dog’s growing body with all the calories it needs.
- Another crucial element in the food is DHA, which supports your dog’s developing eyes and brain. It’s also enriched with vitamin C and E that strengthen your whippet’s immune system for years. Still, the food remains free from irritants like artificial colors that irritate the stomach of sensitive canines.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Dog Food
- This dry food option is a blend of real meat, veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Not only is it a generous source of proteins and carbs for energy, but the additional LifeSource Bits also offer antioxidants and other nutrients that keep your dog healthy.
- Whippets have a very light coat, which makes them intolerant of cold weather. To cope with this, they need to consume fats, and this food has them covered. It includes Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids to keep their sensitive skin strong and healthy too.
- Glucosamine, calcium, and phosphorus ensure the strength of bones, teeth, and joints. And vitamins and minerals keep the immune system in order as well. These benefits also include a delicious flavor that your dog won’t be able to resist. The de-boned chicken and brown rice pair perfectly along with the other natural ingredients. This formula is free of soy, corn, wheat, poultry by-products, and other harmful ingredients.
Blue Buffalo Basics Skin & Stomach Care Senior Dog Food
- Protect your senior whippet’s sensitive stomach and skin with the Blue Buffalo Basics Dog Food. The wholesome recipe is designed with highly-digestible ingredients such as turkey meat, brown rice, and potatoes. It contains a decent amount of protein for maintaining muscle mass and plenty of carbs to keep your whippet energetic even in old age.
- Being a gentle formula, the food also features pumpkin, which has a soothing effect on the stomach of canines. It’s also fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin, so your whippets’ joints remain in flawless shape with age. Taurine is also added to encourage good cardiovascular health, while corn, wheat, soy, and artificial additives are removed to prevent stomach upset.
My Ollie Turkey Feast — Best Fresh Food For Whippets
- Nurture your whippet with a top-notch personalized diet delivered to your doorstep from My Ollie. We’ve picked the Turkey Feast recipe for this breed as it’s rich in protein and easy on the stomach of sensitive canines. It’s made from human-grade veggies and fruits such as carrots, kale, blueberries, and pumpkin, all of which are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins.
- However, it’s the quality and dedication of My Ollie that makes it worth the price. The diet plans are customized to your dog’s age, breed, and activity levels by expert nutritionists to maximize nourishment. Each meal is crafted in USA facilities and contains zero fillers or artificial additives. All of this is delivered in tear-able packages by their team so your dog always has access to tasty, home-cooked meals.
Ziwi Peak Lamb Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food — Best Premium Food For Whippets
- Fuel your picky whippet with the delicious and meaty air-dried Ziwi Peak Lamb Dog Food. It is one of the most protein-dense formulas in the market, with nearly 96% of the food consisting of lamb meat and organs. All of this protein makes the food highly appealing to the most stubborn whippets as they crave an instinctual diet.
- Besides being appealing, the food is also excellent for muscle growth and energy levels. It’s also beneficial for joint health of active whippets as it features glucosamine and chondroitin from green mussels. Unlike regular kibbles, the food is air-dried instead of being baked, which protects it from pathogens and locks in the natural texture and flavor of lamb meat.
Nutro Ultra Grain-Free Filets Lamb & Green Bean Wet Food
- Your dog gets just the right amount of proteins, fats, fiber, and moisture in this food. The high water content fulfills your dog’s hydration levels. This factor, along with the simple recipe, makes it easy to digest this food.
- Its first ingredient is farm-raised real lamb. Mixed with this are wholesome vegetables and herbs for a balanced nutritional value. Unique ingredients such as basil and green beans make this dog food delicious yet nutritious. It is free of grains and by-products. On top of that, it is a non-GMO formula. All in all, it is a delightful and healthy option that your whippet will love.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain — Best Budget Food For Whippets
- Taste of the Wild has a solid reputation for making some of the finest dog foods on the market. And their High Prairie Dog Food is no different. It features a mix of premium-quality proteins such as bison and buffalo that support muscle nourishment and growth. The recipe uses sweet potatoes and peas for carbohydrates to fuel your dog’s body and muscles.
- Because the High Prairie is grain-free and includes both prebiotics and probiotics, it strengthens the digestive system and prevents bloating or gas. The dog food also offers tons of other nutrients including omega fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, all of which are sourced from natural ingredients.
Nutro Natural Choice Healthy Weight Adult Dog Food — Best Weight Loss Food For Whippets
- Despite being a naturally skinny breed, whippets can easily become overweight. Fortunately, Nutro Healthy Weight Dog Food can solve this problem. The formula is precisely tuned with protein and fiber to enhance muscle growth while reducing caloric intake to trigger fat loss.
- It’s also fortified with antioxidants that support the immune system and contains fibrous grains to allow food to pass through easily. However, the brand uses zero corn, wheat, soy, and artificial additives for this purpose as they pose a threat of diarrhea or stomach problems.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein HP Dog Food
- A lot of grain-free dog foods use peas as an alternative. Unfortunately, some whippets are sensitive to peas. If your dog falls in this category too, opt for this pea-free formula. Vets have designed this recipe to be perfect for sensitive animals. The limited ingredient formula guarantees the exclusion of fillers and by-products. Hydrolyzed protein is easier to digest; therefore, this option is okay for puppies and sensitive adults too.
- Inflammation, skin allergies, gastrointestinal issues, and other similar problems are easier to fight against with the help of the generous amount of probiotics in this recipe. Omega fatty acids keep the coat healthy while the fiber boosts the health of the immune system.
Instinct Raw Boost Grain — Best Weight Gain Food For Whippets
- If you’ve been considering switching to a raw diet lately, try the Instinct Raw Boost Dry Food that offers the nutritional benefits of both kibbles and raw food in a single pack. The kibbles are made from the finest ingredients that offer a blend of nutrients, including proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics. All of these nutrients support a number of body functions while enhancing your dog’s digestive health.
- But what’s unique about this dog food is the freeze-dried raw bites inside of it. These raw bites are made entirely out of real, all-natural raw chicken. Together with the kibbles, the dog food delivers all of the essential nutrients, as well as additional proteins from the raw bites to support your whippet’s lean and muscular body.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Dog Food for Whippet
There are plenty of dog food options in the market. I’ve narrowed it down to the best 7, but finalizing the best one for your dog is up to you. It is a fact that every dog is different. What works for your dog may not work well for mine. That is why you need to do your research.
The best food for your dog is the one that best meets its needs, including that it enjoys it. Of course, it should be something with well-balanced nutritional levels so that your animal-child is energized and healthy.
Other than these basic requirements, there are a few more factors to consider. Start with the ingredients.
Unlike most dogs, whippets can safely consume a lot of ingredients that other breeds cannot. It is pretty ironic considering how prone whippets are to health issues. Anyhow, before I get onto these unusual ingredients, let’s take a look at the basic must-haves in dog food.
- Veggies: Don’t forget to balance out the proteins with some vitamins and minerals.
- Real meat: As a whippet parent, you must always remember one thing: real meat is essential for your dog’s survival.
Now, let’s talk about some of the unusual ingredients that you should prefer in your whippet’s meals.
- Oil: The low fat in a whippet’s body needs supplementation. Dog foods made with oil are a great way to do so. This breed does not gain weight easily so feel free to offer generous amounts of oil-based dog food or another fat source.
- Grains: What may surprise you here is that grains are usually safe for whippets. A lot of dogs are sensitive to grains, which is why grain-free dog foods are popular. However, whippets can easily digest them. The high carb content in grains is ideal for a Whippet.
Ingredients to Avoid
Whippets are somewhat sensitive in terms of health. They are prone to some serious illnesses. Random allergies also make an appearance now and then. More often than not, these allergies are due to an ingredient in their food. Here are some general ingredients to avoid feeding a whippet.
- Corn, wheat, and soy: Whippets can develop allergies from these ingredients very quickly. The consumption of these ingredients can trigger runny eyes and ear infections.
- Grain-alternatives: Since a lot of dogs displayed signs of indigestion after consumption of grains, the market started offering alternatives. These ingredients are meant to be harmless and safe; however, the latest research has linked some cases of dilated cardiomyopathy to grain-free dog food. What you need to look into are the alternatives of choice. Chickpeas and lentils are a definite no!
- Fillers: Anything with minimal or no nutritional value in your dog’s food is a filler. These ingredients end up filling up your dog’s stomach without providing sufficient nutrients. Rice protein, soybean meal, modified cornstarch, meat or poultry by-products, and other similar ingredients are all fillers.
Other than these, your whippet could be allergic to a lot of things too. Some dogs are totally fine with all the meat options. However, others have side effects of beef, pork, chicken or anyone. Keep an eye on your little one whenever you introduce something new. If you notice the slightest reaction, switch to something foolproof or visit a vet.
Wet or dry?
I’ve said it before, but I’ll repeat it so you can memorize this important fact:
You should maintain a balance between the amounts of wet and dry food you feed your Whippet. While wet food is rich in moisture, dry food keeps the dental health in check.
The final decision of how you divide wet food to dry food depends on the nature of your dog. If it is good at keeping hydrated, you can keep the amount of dry food higher. However, if your dog isn’t a big water drinker, then you may want to feed it a wet food instead of dry.
Pets are not very good at keeping themselves hydrated. That is why wet food is a preferred choice among many pet parents. The high moisture also makes it easier to digest and naturally, wet food also tastes better. You have a lot of texture options to choose from in the wet food category.
Dogs tend to prefer wet food textures over dry food. However, wet food, especially one that has real meat-based protein, is on the more expensive side. Kibbles, on the other hand, are more affordable. Their crunchiness is similar to the texture of bones, and it is no surprise that all dogs love bones.
Ultimately it is all about your whippet’s preference. You can alternate between wet and dry food or give a portion of both in separate bowls to continue a healthy balance.
With all this in mind, may you choose the best dog food for your whippet!
Frequently Asked Questions
How much walking does a whippet need?
As I mentioned earlier, whippets come from a hunting background, and this is why they need more exercise than an average house dog. You should take your whippet for a walk every day for at least one hour. Since whippets have a strong prey drive, they like to take the lead. Make sure to eat an energy-boosting meal before you head out so that you don’t get tired before your dog!
Are whippets hard to train?
Whippets are originally hunter dogs. They have an independent nature which helps them hunt in the wild without any commands. Now, that does make it a tad bit harder to train them but with their high intelligence levels, they do quickly get the hang of basic orders such as sit, stay, etc.
Do whippets like to cuddle?
The dogs of this breed are medium-sized, so they are just the right size to fit in a lap. Other than that, these dogs have a very light coat and minimal fat in their bodies hence why they are so intolerant of cold weather. Whippets may not exactly look forward to cuddling during the summer, but in the winters, they’ll eagerly jump into your lap to get some warmth by cuddling.
What weight should a whippet be?
Whippets are generally medium-sized dogs. A large adult dog of this breed can weigh somewhere between 6.4kg and 14kg. A female whippet usually weighs a couple of kilograms less than a male of the same age.
Are whippets barkers?
Generally, whippets are not vocal at all. They hardly ever bark unless they are either very excited or frightened. However, pet whippets may get spoiled. When they get used to getting what they want by barking, they’ll become habitual barkers.
Whippets are basically just like any dog—any high-quality food can be the best food for your dog as long as it is crafted for your pet’s specific life stage and breed size. The key word here is “high-quality.” If it doesn’t skimp on the proteins, doesn’t use fillers, or does not include controversial ingredients, then it should be fine.
I made you a list of foods I’ve researched and reviewed to make the selection process easier for you. Ultimately, though, it will be up to your own research and your pup’s preference as to which is best.
I wish you a happy journey finding the right food for your Whippet and may it be a short one!