Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Maltipoos
Your cute little Maltipoo requires proper nutrition to help them remain active and healthy throughout their lifetime. Providing a balanced and complete diet for your dog might seem overwhelming when you don’t know which dog food brand to pick and what to look for when choosing a dog food for a Maltipoo.
In general, you’re going to want to pick a small to medium-sized dog breed food to feed your Maltipoo. The kibble sized is going to be much smaller so your dog can easily chew and digest it without choking. In addition, you’re going to want to make sure that there are essential fatty acids like Omega 3 or 6 to support your Maltipoo’s hypoallergenic and nonshedding coat. Lastly, you’ll want to buy a high-quality dog food for your Maltipoo with no filler ingredients.
- Top 10 Best Dog Kibbles for small dogs
- Top 10 Best Dehydrated Dog Foods
- Top 10 Best Human Grade Dog Foods
- Top 10 Best Dog Foods For Gassy Dogs
- Top 10 Best Wet Puppy Foods
- Top 10 Best Dry Puppy Foods
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Yeast Infections
- Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Miniature Schnauzers
As a busy pet parent, you don’t have time to search for endless hours to find the perfect dog food, so we did the research for you and compiled the list below that has the best dog foods for Maltipoos available in the market today. The only thing you need to do is choose the one that suits your dog’s needs the best and place your order!
The 10 Best Dog Foods for Maltipoos
Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food — Best Value
For the best dog food for Maltipoo for the money, consider Rachel Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food. At a great price, this kibble offers your Maltipoo complete nutrition with no by-products or artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. With celebrity chef Rachel Ray behind this product, it’s no surprise that most dogs seem to enjoy the taste!
Rachel Ray Nutrish is made with farm-raised chicken as its first ingredient. It has an excellent protein content with added nutrient-rich chicken meal. This recipe has wholesome brown rice and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables such as carrots, apples, and cranberries.
For Maltipoos, the kibble may be a bit large and discolor the white fur around your pup’s mouth. Also, this selection has peas and potatoes — while they offer nutrients and fiber, they are listed on an FDA alert of ingredients in an ongoing study.
- FDA alert about peas and potatoes
- Kibble may be too large
- May discolor the fur around your Maltipoo’s mouth
- Farm-raised chicken is first ingredient
- Excellent protein content
- Complete nutrition
- No by-products, artificial additives, or artificial preservatives
- Most dogs seem to like the taste
- Wholesome grains, fruits, and vegetables
The Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe — Best Overall
Maltipoos need healthy food to fuel them, and it is hard to get better than fresh. We found the Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe to be the best overall choice for a Maltipoo because it is high in protein and healthy vegetables, meets all their nutritional needs, and is easy to eat. Soft foods are better for smaller dogs or dogs with dental issues because they can be eaten in small, pain-free bites. This food has a 38% protein content coming mainly from turkey, along with supplementary ingredients of chickpeas, carrots, broccoli, parsnip, spinach, fish oil, and a nutrient blend. These ingredients help provide a balanced diet.
There is some controversy around using legumes as an ingredient, including chickpeas, because recent studies around peas and beans suggest links to heart disease, but this meal is still a standout choice. Farmer’s Dog food is a subscription service that is easy to use and set up, making getting food fast and convenient; however, that does mean it’s a little tricker to compare to traditional food and decide if it’s the best choice for your dog.
- Contains chickpeas (legumes)
- More expensive
- Subscription only
- Delicious veggies
- Easy to use
- Fresh, nutritious food
- 38% protein
Royal Canin Puppy Dry Dog Food — For Puppies
Formulated for small breed puppies, Royal Canin Dry Dog Food offers your Maltipoo puppy a nutritionally complete meal. This recipe is prepared to meet the needs of your Maltipoo puppy’s brief yet rapid growth period.
The kibble is adapted for small breeds. The shape and size are designed for your puppy’s small mouth. It has a taste and texture that most dogs seem to enjoy. The recipe has a nutrient-rich blend of antioxidants and added minerals and vitamins, as well as probiotics and prebiotics for better digestion. The inclusion of fish oil supports healthy skin and coat.
Although easily digested, we are not impressed that brewer’s rice is the first ingredient. Although not harmful, this ingredient is lacking in nutritional value, making it a filler. Also, this selection uses lower quality chicken by-product and corn ingredients, which may act as an allergen in some puppies.
- Lower-quality first ingredients: brewer’s rice and chicken by-product
- Corn ingredients may act as allergens
- Nutrient-rich blend of antioxidants
- Added vitamins and minerals
- Prebiotics and probiotics for better digestion
- Nutritionally complete meal
- Ideal for small breed puppies
- Kibble size, shape, taste, and texture adapted for small breeds
- Fish oil for healthy skin and coat
Castor & Pollux Grain Free Dry Dog Food
We selected Castor & Pollux Grain Free Dry Dog Food as our third choice. This kibble is approved as USDA organic, with its recipes cooked in an organically certified USA kitchen. The first ingredient is organic, free-range chicken.
This selection is specialized for small breed dogs, making it ideal for your Maltipoo. It has a smaller kibble size. The probiotics and prebiotic fiber help with your pup’s sensitive stomach and improve digestion. It incorporates a nutrient-rich blend of organic superfoods such as flaxseed, blueberries, and coconut oil.
While a bit more expensive, this brand is competitively priced with similar high-quality dry dog foods. We recommend this grain-free recipe if your Maltipoo suffers from food sensitivities or allergies. Otherwise, be aware that grain-free dog food may be linked to canine heart disease in recent FDA research and ongoing study. We learned a few dogs exhibited sick symptoms after eating this product.
- A bit more expensive
- FDA alert about grain-free dog food
- A few dogs became sickened
- Reduced kibble size
- Probiotics and prebiotic fiber for improved digestion
- Nutrient-rich, organic superfoods
- USDA organic
- Organic, free-range chicken as first ingredient
- Specialized for small breeds
- Ideal for Maltipoos with allergies
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Dog Food
Grain free with high-quality ingredients, Blue Buffalo Freedom Dry Dog Food is ideal if your Maltipoo has food sensitives, skin issues, or digestive issues. This affordable selection lists real de-boned chicken as its first ingredient, followed by nutrient-rich chicken meal.
Blue Buffalo Freedom contains no meat by-products or potential allergens such as corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or artificial preservatives. This small breed recipe enhances energy levels, promotes skin and coat health, and supports joint health. The kibble size and texture are adapted for small breeds’ mouths.
LifeSource Bits, a unique feature of Blue Buffalo, contains a highly nutritious blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. While an excellent addition, we learned that some bags have a small ratio of bits, and some dogs refused to eat the bits entirely.
Keep in mind, that certain ingredients in this selection, such as peas and potatoes, are being studied by the FDA after they issued an alert possibly linking grain-free dog food to a canine heart disease.
- FDA alert about grain-free dog food
- Too little ratio of LifeSource Bits
- Some dogs refuse to eat LifeSource Bits
- No by-products, potential allergens, or artificial ingredients
- Enhances energy levels
- Supports skin, coat, and joint health
- Grain-free, high-quality ingredients
- Ideal for dogs with skin and digestive issues
- Real de-boned chicken as first ingredient
- Adapted kibble size and texture for small breeds
- Bite-sized pieces offering nutrient-packed blend
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet is an affordable dry dog food recipe contains “nibble-size” kibble that’s perfect for your Maltipoo’s small mouth.
Hill’s Science Diet is made with natural ingredients that are selected for their easy digestibility. It has an optimal protein content to promote lean muscles, with nutrient-condensed chicken meal as its first ingredient. This recipe has skin- and coat-enhancing omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E. Its antioxidant blend works to boost your Maltipoo’s immune system.
We found that a recent change in formula may result in some dogs experiencing stomach upset. The new inclusion of corn, green peas, and broccoli may cause digestive distress. Also, brewer’s rice as the second ingredient has little nutritional value and can be considered a filler.
- Some dogs experienced stomach upset
- Recent change in formula
- Brewer’s rice acts as a filler
- Optimal protein content
- Omega-6 and vitamin E for healthy skin and coat
- Antioxidant blend to boost immunity
- Reduced size kibble for small dogs
- Natural ingredients
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
For a complete and balanced grain-free choice, Wellness Core Natural Dry Dog Food is specially formulated to support your small breed’s overall health.
This protein-rich recipe features premium turkey and chicken and offers calorie levels that match the energy needs of your active pup. This selection has omega-3 fatty acids to enhance your Maltipoo’s skin and coat, glucosamine and chondroitin for your pup’s hip and joint health, and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables.
Wellness only uses all-natural, high-quality ingredients with no fillers, by-products, or artificial additives. It doesn’t contain potential allergens such as wheat, corn, or soy, making it well-suited if your Maltipoo suffers from food sensitivities, skin issues, or digestive problems.
It’s important to note that the peas, potatoes, legumes, and lentils in this recipe are included in an ongoing study by FDA looking into the link between grain free dog food and canine heart disease. Also, we learned of quality control issues in which some dogs experienced skin reactions and stomach upset.
- Some dogs had skin reactions
- A few dogs experienced stomach upset
- FDA alert about grain-free dog food
- Quality control issues
- Contains omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- All-natural, high-quality ingredients
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Specially formulated for small breeds
- Protein-rich formula
- No fillers, by-products, or artificial additives
- No wheat, corn, or soy
Purina Bella Natural Bites Dry Dog Food
|Calories:||358 per cup|
|Food Form:||Dry food|
Purina Bella Natural Bites Dry Dog Food has a crunchiness to it that dogs love, and your Maltipoo won’t be any exception. Purina is a well-known brand that has proven itself to be reputable over time, and if you’re looking for a brand that has well-balanced nutrition and a high protein content (26%), then you’ve found the right kibble for your dog!
This blend does contain grains, so it might not be suitable for all dogs. It also has corn gluten listed in the first five ingredients, which is something to watch out for. However, it’s high-quality dog food from a reputable brand.
Nulo Freestyle Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
|Calories:||422 per cup|
|Food Form:||Dry food|
The number eight spot on our list goes to Nulo Freestyle Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. The kibble in this blend is fairly small, which means it’s a great source of food for your Maltipoo. The blend contains 31% protein and is perfect for active dogs like Maltipoos, and the food is known to improve digestion because of the probiotics it contains.
However, some owners still reported that the kibble was too large for their tiny dogs to chew, and some pups didn’t like the taste of the blend.
Nature’s Logic Canine Dry Dog Food
|Calories:||417 per cup|
|Food Form:||Dry food|
At number nine on our list is Nature’s Logic Canine Dry Dog Food, which is packed with protein at 36% overall! The food is 100% natural and free from chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals, or amino acids, and the included probiotics and digestive enzymes encourage good digestion. Also, the food and packaging are produced with 100% renewable electricity, making it great for your dog as well as the environment.
There have been reports of this kibble being both too hard to chew and too large for some small breeds. It’s possible that it could cause stomach issues for pups with food allergies too, so if you’re unsure if this is the right food for your Maltipoo pup, it’s best to consult your vet before giving this kibble a try.
Buyer’s Guide – Choosing the Best Dog Food for Maltipoos
As you know, small breed dogs need special attention when it comes to their diets, and your little Maltipoo is no different than the rest. Now that you’ve seen our reviews of the best dog foods for your Maltipoo, you may be wondering how to choose which one is the best fit for your small pup. We’ll help by giving you a few of the things you should look for in each bag of kibble in our buyer’s guide below:
Shape, Size, and Texture of the Kibble
While you wouldn’t think that kibble’s texture, shape, and size would be that important, it is with Maltipoos since they’re a small breed dog. Your pup needs a kibble size that works for their little mouths. It’s best to search for a kibble that’s crunchy in texture to help clean your Maltipoo’s teeth and to help avoid dental issues in the future.
If your Maltipoo is active and energetic, then you’re going to want dog food that can keep up with your pet. Most of the foods we recommended have quite a bit of protein, which is needed to keep up with your pet’s active life. It’s best to avoid foods that have fillers and meat by-products if at all possible—real meat is always your best bet as one of the top three ingredients.
Joint and Stomach Health
- Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are essential to the continued health of your small breed dog. Make sure that you look for kibble that contains all three of these essentials in abundance. If you find that your little one suffers from a sensitive stomach, then you’ll want to search for a kibble that has plenty of probiotics and prebiotics.
- It’s also essential to take care of your pet’s joint health, so make sure that the kibble includes glucosamine and chondroitin too, if possible. If you’re unsure what’s the best choice of food for your pet with a sensitive stomach, then it’s best to contact your vet for guidance.
Grains or Grain-Free?
- It’s important to note that the FDA has issued an alert for dog food products that are grain-free. If you’re concerned about giving your pet grain-free food, try it for a short period only and talk to your vet to determine the best course of action for your particular dog.
- These are just some of the things that you should search for when looking for the best kibble for your Maltipoo pal. Remember, small breed dogs have very specific diet requirements, especially if they have stomach sensitivities or food allergies, so be careful with your choices.
We recommend Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe as the overall best dog food for your Maltipoo. They need healthy food to fuel them, and it is hard to get better than fresh. It’s important Maltipoos eat high in protein foods and healthy vegetables, meets all their nutritional needs.
Our choice for the best value goes to Rachael Ray Nutrish 18141700 Dry Dog Food. Most dogs seem to enjoy the taste of this recipe. It offers complete nutrition with no by-products, artificial additives, or artificial preservatives. Farm-raised chicken is the first ingredient, providing excellent protein content. This selection also contains wholesome grains, fruits, and vegetables.
We selected Castor & Pollux 35056 Grain Free Dry Dog Food as our premium choice for its USDA organic ingredients, and its recipe is made in organically certified kitchens. Organic, free-range chicken is its first ingredient. Specialized for small breeds, Castor & Pollux has reduced kibble size and probiotics and prebiotic fiber for improved digestion. It incorporates nutrient-rich, organic superfoods. The grain-free formula is ideal for Maltipoos with allergies.
We hope our helpful reviews, at-a-glance pros and cons lists, and informative buyer’s guide have helped you to find the best dog food for your Maltipoo. Small breeds like Maltipoo need specialized recipes to meet their unique dietary needs. With the right dog food, your Maltipoo can thrive with excellent energy levels and outstanding health.