Top 10 Best Shampoo For Poodles With Sensitive Skin
Are you – like me – one of the lucky people who is owned by a Poodle? Then you have fallen in love with their smart wits, sense of humor, zest for life and adorable looks. Poodles are renowned for their special coat – one of the reasons all Doodle breeds have been developed from them – but the care for that coat … can be tricky.
- Black Mini Pyredoodle Puppies Breeders: Great Pyrenees Poodle Mix
- Mini Springerdoodle Puppies Breeders: Springer Spaniel Poodle Mix
- Black Cairnoodle Puppies Breeder: Cairn Terrier and Poodle Mix
- Teacup Corgipoo Puppies Breeder: Corgi Poodle Mix
- Poogle Dog Breed: Beagle Poodle Mix
- Mini Weimardoodle Puppy Breeder: Weimaraner Poodle Mix
- Mini Bolonoodle Puppies Breeders: Bolognese Poodle Mix
- F1b Mini Bordoodle Puppies Breed: Border Collie Poodle Mix
- Rottle Puppies Breeder: Full Grown Rottweiler Poodle Mix
- Black Miniature Cockapoo Puppies Breeders
- Black Teacup Maltipoo Puppies Breed
- Boxerdoodle Puppies Breeder: Boxer Poodle Mix
- Black Teacup Westiepoo Puppies Breeders: Westie Poodle Mix
One of the best things about Poodles is their low-shedding, incredibly soft fur. They are an excellent choice for people who have issues with pet dander and other allergy-related problems. Plus, as a breed, they’re smart as a whip. Proper grooming is extremely important with poodles.
They require specific haircuts and pampering. So when you’re caring for your Poodle at home, you will want to buy a shampoo that will take care of their hairdos in a real way. Precisely for poodles, we rounded up eight of the best options that you can choose from when picking out products.
Our Top Choice: The #1 Poodle Shampoo
- TropiClean PerfectFur Curly & Wavy Coat Shampoo for Dogs
- This is the ultimate dog shampoo. Specifically designed for curly coats and you cannot get a better product for your pooch.
- The shampoo lifts the individual hairs for maximum shape and volume, while also coating each hair to smoothen follicles and prevent matting or tangles.
- Seriously, try it out – you will love it so much!
Our Best Shampoos for Specific Poodle Types
Sometimes you need a more specialized product. Find our top choices for budget and puppy friendly shampoos as well as Shampoos specifically for your Poodle’s coat color below.
Best Budget Option
- Owning a dog can be pricey – but the shampoo doesn’t need to be!
- Best Budget Option
- Wahl 4-In-1 Calming Pet Shampoo
- This 4-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is from a line of products that many professional groomers use. It is not only high-quality, but an amazing budget option as well!
- Having a shampoo and conditioner in one product makes bath time easy for dogs that are impatient and want to get out of the tub quickly!
Best Shampoo for White Poodles
- BioSilk Therapy Whitening Dog Shampoo
- If you have a light-colored poodle, you may want to check out BioSilk Therapy Whitening Dog Shampoo. There is an agent in the formula that lightens their fur, leaving it bright and fresh. You don’t have only to use white poodles, either. It will brighten and clean any fur color.
- This human-grade moisturizing shampoo has no harmful parabens or sulfates. Plus, it’s completely safe to use alongside flea treatments. The silk proteins will leave your poodle feeling refreshed and fanciful.
- It’s an excellent way to enhance your pet’s natural fur qualities without paying salon prices. The scent is hot and tropical, which is pleasing to the senses and long-lasting. If you have a darker poodle, results might not be as dramatic.
Best Shampoo for Poodle Puppies
- Gentle ingredients, tear-free formula and baby powder scent – oh yeah.
- Best for Poodle Puppies
- Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo, 18-Ounce
- If you have a Poodle puppy, you should get him or her used to being bathed as early as possible. Puppies will accept everything that happens in their first months as “just part of life”. You can prevent a lot of future struggles by starting bathing your Poodle early in life!
- Plus – puppies get dirty. A lot. That’s just a part of puppy life
- It is from the company Oster, which is the preferred brand among professional groomers. Your puppy will indeed smell and feel like he or she just got back from a professional hair appointment. The scent of this one is baby powder – you won’t stop snuggling your pup after a bath with this!
Best Shampoo for Black Poodles
- Have an ebony pooch? This is you best pick
- Best for Black Poodles
- Bio-Groom Ultra Black Color Enhancing Shampoo
- Black dogs’ coat can quickly look dull when not maintained properly. But with the right products, they will shine and shimmer in their ebony glory! This shampoo was specifically designed for black dogs.
- This shampoo is meant to be diluted 4:1 – meaning that one bottle will last you many months, even if your pooch gets frequent baths. Let’s polish that black beauty!
Best Shampoo for Pampered Poodles
- If your dog is used to luxury, this shampoo fits the bill.
- Best for Doggy Divas
- Luxury Care by Hydra – Moisturizing Oatmeal Shampoo
- Is your Pooch one of the really special Poodles? For doggy divas (you know who I mean!) this one is perfect. It leaves the coat incredibly soft and it smells soooo good! Seriously. My husband thought I was weird, whatever! It just smells so good. This one made brushing once my Poodle was blow-dried so easy, too!
Best for Poodles That get Dirty
- If you need some extra-strength cleaning power …
- Best For Poodles That Get Dirty!
- Veterinary Formula Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo
- Whether your Poodle loves to play in puddles or roll in the grass – this shampoo will get even the dirtiest dog to sparkle again! A product used frequently by veterinarians, it is formulated to repel dirt for long after your dog’s bath.
- The green apple and white tea fragrance will make your pup smell much better than the mud he chose to run through!
Best shampoo for Poodles with allergies
- One of our favorite shampoo products for Poodles is the 4-Legger organic dog shampoo.
- This organic dog shampoo is great for the Poodle breed for a number of reasons.
- It is hypoallergenic, meaning it is an excellent choice for Poodles with sensitive skin who are prone to allergies or dryness.
- We also love that it is made with all-natural ingredients like aloe and lavender.
- Plus, it is free of parabens, sulfates, and other harsh additives.
Isle of Dogs Tearless Puppy Shampoo
- If you have a young poodle pup, Isle of Dogs Tearless Puppy shampoo is a prize-winning pick. It is ideal for preventing any issues with vision, as it’s tear-free and safe to use on the face.
- The classic Isle of Dogs scent—fresh cotton and orchid—will leave a very clean, subtle smell that is long-lasting and pleasurable. It helps soften the fur to make extra fluffy curls.
- If you have any other dogs in the home, this product is safe to use for them, too. It can be for any life stage or coat type, from puppyhood and beyond. Each bottle is made in the USA with specifically selected ingredients.
Best Shampoo For Poodles With Sensitive Skin
- PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo is a terrific value since you get a favorable volume for a small price. This product is totally soap-free and contains no unnatural or irritating ingredients.
- If your poodle is prone to matting, this might be your solution. It has extra conditioning additives that leave fur soft and easy to groom. It helps with those cost situations that are difficult to manage.
- The product advertises that their scent lasts up to 2 weeks, preventing odors between baths. It has an aromatic scent, which has an almost floral aroma. It should work on most coat types, including poodles with sensitive skin.
FAQ – Poodle Shampoos & Bathing
More questions about Poodle bathing and shampooing? We got your back.
How often should a poodle be bathed?
- You should strive to bathe your Poodle every 3-4 weeks. The exact frequency will depend on your lifestyle, your Poodle’s age as well as what type of haircut your Poodle has.
- A Poodle who lives in a rural area and spends a lot of time outside running around might need a bath every 2 weeks, especially if it is muddy.
- If you live in an urban environment or your dog spends most of his time indoors, you will need to bathe him much less frequently.
- Senior dogs sometimes do not tolerate being bathed very well. In that case you should give your Poodle a short haircut and try out doggy wipes to keep his paws and face clean.
- Never plan a bath without brushing your Poodle beforehand, otherwise you could make mats and tangles worse!
Can you use human shampoo on poodles?
You should not use human shampoo on your Poodle, or any dog for that matter. Dogs’ skin has a different pH value than human skin. Human shampoo could dry out your Poodle’s coat and cause dandruff problems. A specifically formulated dog shampoo is the best way to go.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Find the Best Poodle Shampoo
Poodle fur has a unique texture that might be described as down. Because of the long waves and curls, having a proper bathing and grooming regimen is essential to care. Since this particular breed has certain requirements, it’s important to know the basics of coat care.
Let’s go over how to choose the right shampoo for your poodle—making their curly locks look their best.
Can I Use Human Shampoo on My Poodle?
Human shampoo can clean your dog and leave them smelling fresh. However, the pH in the formula isn’t designed for canines. So, it can be far too harsh for their skin which can cause bad reactions in some dogs. Human shampoo is too acidic.
Your dog needs something more alkaline that is for their particular skin type. That is why most major pet companies create shampoos that are specific to species. So, while it may be more convenient to pour the Pantene on instead, it’s not the right option for your pooch.
Types of Dog Shampoo
There is a pretty versatile selection of dog shampoos to choose from. Your preference will greatly depend on how well the shampoo performs on your poodle’s fur.
2-in-1 shampoo cleans and conditions, leaving your poodle’s fur fresh and soft. You will have everything you need for grooming in one bottle. Some products will have better conditioning and cleaning power. Make sure to select a reputable product certain to get the job done.
General-purpose shampoo gets the dirt, grime, and debris out of your dog’s fur. But on the downside, it doesn’t have conditioning properties. If you want to leave your poodle’s curls kinky and silky, you’ll have to buy a conditioner additionally.
Whitening or Brightening
These sorts of shampoos break up and brighten coats—making them eye-catching and luxurious. Some products work better than others. Many only work on lighter coats.
Waterless shampoo lends a hand when you don’t have time to bathe your poodle fully. A few spritz and lathers and you’re good to go. The waterless shampoo dries clear and should have no residue or buildup. After using a waterless product, if it leaves buildup—discontinue use.
Some pets can be super sensitive to some ingredients in most commercial shampoos and conditioners. Buying organic shampoo eliminates the harsh additives, cleaning your pet with only necessary components.
Many ingredients like sulfates and parabens can irritate and dry out the skin.
That’s right—pets can have dandruff just like us. There are lots of products on the market that combat those pesky flakes.
Medicated shampoos can take care of many bathing-related issues like dandruff, itching, irritation, and breakouts.
Some dogs have issues with recurring yeast infections on the skin. Antifungal shampoos help to keep these conditions under control.
Reactions to Shampoo
Every poodle is different. Some will have much more sensitive skin than others. If you notice any symptoms developing once you try a new shampoo, you might have to figure out what ingredient is causing the problem.
Primary reasons shampoos can irritate the skin include:
- Parabens and sulfates
- Certain essential oils
- Artificial or strong fragrance
- Artificial dye and color
Common symptoms and reactions include:
- Excessive itching
- Skin rash
- Obsessive licking
- Balding patches
- Ear infections
- Inflamed feet
If you notice any of those symptoms, discontinue use and contact your vet.
How to Make Poodle Hair Curly With a Bath:
Your poodle needs a bath about every 3 weeks. Poodles have a naturally occurring process where their skin starts to produce oils after a bath. While these oils build to protect the skin, they can overproduce at times which clogs the pores.
The 3-week mark is a good point to remove this buildup and start fresh. Gather up your bath supplies and trick your dog to the bathroom with some tasty treats.
- Wet the coat thoroughly in all areas, minus the ears and nose.
- Lather the soap on the entire body.
- Massage to loosen up dirt and debris from the fur and skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Apply conditioner.
- Allow the conditioner to sit for 3 minutes.
- While you wait, take a moist cloth and wipe it around the eyes.
- Rinse all conditioned areas thoroughly.
- Towel dry.
- Brush your poodle to remove any tangles.
We think you’re going to absolutely love the Paws & Pals Oatmeal Pet Shampoo. It will work for most healthy, problem-free poodles, leaving the fur and skin in top-notch shape.
If you want to save a few dollars but get the same quality, try out Buddy Wash Original Mint and Lavender shampoo. It smells clean and fresh, leaving your poodle in squeaky-clean condition.
No matter which of these picks best matches your poodle’s needs, we hope we led you to your purchase. Here’s to better quality bath-time.