Maltese vs Maltipoo: What’s the Difference?
The Maltese and the Maltipoo breeds have quite a few things in common, particularly because the Maltipoo is half Maltese and half Poodle. They are similar in size, they are both small dogs, but you might have to pay a little more for the Maltese because she is a purebred.
But let’s take a look at the differences between these two cute dogs. This might make your decision easier when you need to choose which one of these small companion dogs will be the best fit for your family.
Maltese vs Maltipoo: Visual Differences
A quick summary of the Maltipoo vs Maltese:
- The Maltipoo comes in a variety of coat colors and can oftentimes be multi-color. Meanwhile, the Maltese typically conforms to the purebred standard and comes in white.
- Maltipoos are almost always bigger than Maltese. Since Maltipoos do not follow a purebred standard, they are typically larger and weigh more than a Maltese.
- In general, the Maltipoo does tend to be much smarter than the Maltese. The Poodle is one of the most intelligent dog breeds in the world and passes its intelligence onto the Maltipoo.
- Since Maltese are purebred dogs, they typically have a more standardized weight and size. On the other hand, the Maltipoo can be bred with many different Poodle sizes. However, they are typically bred with a toy or miniature Poodle.
- The Maltese and Maltipoo both need to be groomed since they don’t shed and are typically hypoallergenic. This means regular haircuts and brushings to prevent tangles and mats.